1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New marketing idea?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by the ace, Jun 7, 2005.

1. the ace

the ace LawnSite Member
    from usa

I have been racking my brain trying to think of some new ideas to get some new customers. I've been doing the flyer thing, ran a small business card add in a small local newspaper, and have asked friends, family, and everyone I know if they would spread the word for me but I still have not gotten enough customers. I was thinking of offering my current customers a dollar or two off their weekly bill for every signed referral they can produce, and if their referral cancels they will loose that cash discount. I know this sounds like a lot of extra work trying to keep track of who gets what but I'm ready to try just about anything, so what do you guys think, does this sound like a waste of time?
  2. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 LawnSite Member

how many flyers did you put out? Try the yellow pages yet? Maybe try putting flyers at lawn mower shops or harware stores or small convienance stores? Just some ideas ive herd have worked out.
  3. the ace

the ace LawnSite Member
    from usa

Over 10,000 flyers, yellow pages are expensive compared to the response I've heard, have flyers in some local stores, thanks for the help.
  4. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

instead of positioning it as "a dollar or two a week", i'd spin it to a $25 or $50 credit. it would break out to similar to the $1 or $2 but sounds better.

as for ending their discount if someone cancels, is it really worth possibly coming off as cheap to your client? if it's not their fault that the referral cancels, why penalize them? that's how i'd probably look at it if this were done to me.

5. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Tony is very right
  6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I offer 1 free mowing for every referral. I don't do contracts, but there are stipulations. 1) They have to be on my route 2) They have to be weekly service 3) They have to use my service for the entire season, and 4) They have to sign by May 15th. Should it be a bi-weekly service that is referred or a weekly after May 15th, they will be entitled to a credit to their account of half the price of a visit.

Just something to think about.
  7. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

I stopped offering 1 free cut for referrals, instead I send them a $25 gift card to the local restaurant. That's my way of saying thankyou. And, funny thing is, the customers actually come back and thank me for being so thoughtful.

I find that the customer will remember your good will for a long time if they go get a nice dinner on your dime. That will stick in their heads a lot longer than a $25 credit on one of their bills.

Hope this helps....it works for me.

Also, my old employer has stopped taking on maint accounts and is focusing on design/installation. So, he still gets tons of calls for cutting, and sends them my way. I usually send him a "thank you" check as a referral fee. Keeps him happy, and keeps customers coming in on his advertising dollars, and his reputation. Of course, he knows the kind of work I do, so I live up to his standards.

Hope this helps.
  8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>
    Hi the ace,

Here is an older post that may help inspire you further.

How to get new customers