1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new member/first question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by michael stofflet, Feb 7, 2001.

1. michael stofflet

michael stofflet LawnSite Member

Joining in from SE Pa. This will be my first year working by myself after working for others for many. May I say I have been reading all the posts and this site provides a great resource. Question: I met with my first potential client and she has 2+ acres of mostly open flat land. She has had the same guy for several years but is looking to switch. I know from a friend of hers she paid $75 per cut. When I met with her she volunteered the info that she was paying $65 a cut. This is a little low for the amount of land, but it is a nice neighborhood and I would like to get my foot in the door. Suck it up and get in or let it go?
  2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there a profit margin still there? or will you just break even or have a loss with this client?

If there is any profit form the client then go for it others would have to reconsider.
  3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

If you have equipment big enough fo the task so that you think it wont be costing you money, I would say go for it especially if it has potenbtial in a great neighborhood.

PS joey's pizza still makin killer subs down there on the rte.30 bypass??

Just my .02
  4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Being from you're area...Chadds Ford...$65 is too low...I get $65 for 1.5 acres. I'd say even $75 is borderline. If you're just starting out remember you're going to have a lot of costs and you need profit to cover those costs! I just bid a 2 acre property for $100 and it looks like I'm gonna get it. I wanted to bid higher, but I know I can make a good profit and next year I can raise the price after they see the quality work I do. Don't just take it to get a job as when the 90 degree weather hits and you're mowing it for peanuts, you're going to be pissed.

Drop me an e-mail if you wanna talk.

P.S. What size mower are you going to use to cut this 2 acres?
  5. michael stofflet

Kutnkru- just got a meatball parmasian (sp?) from there this past weekend. Where abouts in the area did you live? Let me also add the neighborhood is 2 minutes from my house and all of my equipment is paid for.
  6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Welcome to Lawnsite!!!
    What will you be mowing with? If all you have is a 36" w/b it will take you a long time to do this, but if you have a 60" ZTR with some speed to it, it can be mowed in a half an hour. Make sure you can make money doing it.
  7. michael stofflet

I will be using a 48 exmark metro walk behind.
  8. GREG R

GREG R LawnSite Member

Just starting out I would suggest to book the account
    Your overhead should still be low and your schedule should
    have spaces in it to fill in.
    One of the biggest problems for new people in our area is
    they think they need to compete with everyone. It takes time
    to build a solid and sound company.
    I guaranty if you book that job, and do your best, another job will follow. either from a referal or just by haveing your truck been seen it that part of town.
    Example: we started in a nice part of town with one corner
    lot...9 yrs later we have 21 accounts in-with
    2 blocks Sometimes you have to look at the bigger
    your best advertisment is a well groomed yard and your truck
    parked along side of it.

[Edited by GREG RUMPLE on 02-07-2001 at 11:04 AM]
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Micheal, Take it. Especially if your just starting out. It's $300 a month you didn't have before!
  10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds to me like she is going for a lower price.
    Tell her after doing the math 70 is the least
    you can come out on.Then if she dont bite
    tell her youll take the 65.Just buisiness..