1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New member. Question!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TheTrooper, Nov 12, 2006.

1. TheTrooper

TheTrooper LawnSite Member

Hey everyone at lawnsite.. I am really interested to try lawn care as a career.
    Now, the only expierence I have is, you know, mowing my own lawn, etc.. Should I work for a landscaper next year to get everything down, what to do, how to do it, things like that? Or spend a majority of the winter months reading posts here, asking questions here and such, and starting my own LITTLE lawncare buisness next season. Kind of teach myself as I go? I am rather young, just turned 18 in June. So ya.. again, hello to everyone!

2. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

Here is what I would do if I were you. I would take my 21" push mower get 5-10 acounts to start the season. Take a job with a landscaping company for 1 year to try and make a little extra cash for some nicer mowers. The mid season or the next year buy yourself a 48" walkbehind and work for the landscape company part time if you need to. Also I think that you should slowly work up the accounts till you are at about 40 or so and then you can cut off and go full time!
  3. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

That sounds like good advice, don't finance if you don't have to...good luck

SDNCLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

Start Slow, Use Cash Only, and learn everything you can. Read 1 book per month on the business..

Good Luck