New Member - Walker Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kelly & Sons, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Kelly & Sons

Kelly & Sons LawnSite Member

Hello, I am new to this website, but have been in the business for over 8 years. I already own several Lesco mowers, and I am looking to buy a Walker Mower. Can anyone give me any input on these? Also, if anyone knows the best place (maybe online) to purchase one. Thanks in advance for any advice.... Chris.

2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

So a search. Lots of discussion about Walkers lately. Wish we were closer. I would make you a great deal on one! :)

3. Craig T

Craig T LawnSite Member

I've been looking also. Haven't had any luck yet on a decent used one. Maybe its still to early, may see more for sale in March.

4. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: kelly & son, just follow the maintenance and keep it well greased and should be trouble free i have a 42" with the 20hp kohler and it does a great job, the machine has 5400 hours on it and i replaced the engine and some small stuff but other than that very trouble free. good luck tony

5. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

What General Grounds said.......preventative maintenance is critical.....the cut is fantastic.

Avery......I'm not all that far from you......I'd be interested on a great deal on a used Walker.......e-mail me with a "great price".

6. chris08087

chris08087 LawnSite Member

Walkers supposedly give an excellent cut, and also have one of the best grass collection systems out there. They also have many attachments such as a snowblower, aerator, and street broom, to name a few.

These are the main reasons why I purchased a walker. I have a 24 acre retirement community where I need to collect all of the clippings, and in the winter I have to clear all of the sidewalks. the snowblower is the perfect width (42") to clear the 48" sidewalks.

There are a few downsides to the walkers that I thought that I should mention. First, they are slow as he11. The top speed is somewhere between 2.5 and 5 miles per hour. Not even close to lesco mowers. This might not be an issue, depending on what your planning on using the walker for. They do make pulley kits, but my dealer told me that they are no good because they tear up belts and lead to future problems. Also, they supposedly clog easily when the grass is wet. I have not encountered this, but I just purchased the machine in November and I wasn't the one running it. They also require high maintenance. I know every mower requires mainteneance, but you have to grease these every day or stuff will start to break.

They are good mowers, but I would not get another one simply because they are slow. To tell you the truth, the main reason I got mine is because of the snowblower attachment.

FYI, I got the 20HP diesel model, and it's been very good to me so far.

7. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Check your PM's. ;)

8. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

Don't Know how i got along without him, best employee Ive ever had

9. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

The Walker is the most controversial mower on this site...RRRRRRUUUUUUNNNNNN from it. I've read so many bad things about it ,that's enough for me.

10. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats BS .. I own 4 of em the oldest a 97 20 hp with 2600 hrs to a 2002 26 efi with almost 1000 hours & I own a Lazer Z, Snapper 36 Hyrdo's (for the real small gates)

Orange Park Area is real nice .... from small compact to larger spread out lots ..... both with lots of obstacles n trees where the out front deck really comes thru .... mulching St. Aug it the only way ....unless you have large open areas where a SD Lazer comes into play