1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LawnCareNoobie, Jan 22, 2008.

1. LawnCareNoobie

LawnCareNoobie LawnSite Senior Member

Hello everyone, I would like to introduce myself. My name is John, I am 21 years of age and I reside near Rochester, NY. I am going to be starting a lawn care business with my father this spring. About a month ago, I was searching around on google for some lawn care help and I stumbled upon this nice site. Today, I finally decided to join the group and I am hopeful that you folks can provide some good insight.

In my location, lawn mowing doesn't usually start until around the month of April. When in April is dependent on the weather. My goal is to be all set at the 1st of April so I am already prepared for the 1st mow. With that being said, me and my father will be looking around at different dealers for mowing equipment very shortly. We would like to keep our budget at about $15,000, but if needed we wouldn't have a problem exceeding that amount.

We already have a trailer, 2 trucks, 2 weed whackers, and a push mower to start with. We are looking at adding 2 zero turns. We decided we want at least one 60' and another that is smaller. The nearest dealers we have around here are John Deere, Scag, Kubota, Toro, and Exmark.

So my question is, what is the best of these brands, and what are their price differences? Are there any brands I should absolutely avoid? I know that a lot is a person's own preference and that prices will be different with each dealer, but I would appreciate any kind of input to get some sort of idea. Thank you.
  2. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee LawnSite Senior Member

That sounds great that ur dad and u r starting a business that sounds alot like myself, i am also breaking off from the large lawn compance i currently work and i have learned alot the last few years ive worked for him. but u sound like ur in a good possition $15000 isnt bad to start on but those ztr's get expensive quick, i would never go with exmark myself where i live no one gives good remarks of there mowers. at work we use all john deere ztr's and 2 Gravely walk behinds. but for u i would defiantly reccomend the deere 717 48" deck its an awesome little mower and it leaves great cuts every time i think go for around $7000 but if ur gonna do residential i would say that is a must and a toro or scag walk behind which both range around $3500 for a 36", Scag also has very nice ZTR's but there pricey so i wouldnt buy that right off the bat. well thats a little long if u want to know anything else just ask.