New Members: Welcome to Lawnsite

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eric ELM, Jul 14, 2001.

1. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

[​IMG]
    TO
    [​IMG]

A BIG Welcome to all you new members. This forum is growing very fast and lately we have had a lot of new members sign up, so I just wanted to give you all a few ideas on using this forum.

In the upper right hand corner, there is an Icon Posting Guidelines Please read this to make sure you are following our posting rules. Also below that is faq Click on that to see the most frequently asked questions. Search is also there. If you have a question on for example: Sharpening Blades, click on SEARCH and enter the word Sharpen and you will find around 60 posts on sharpening and grinders. There are thousands of posts answering questions here by 100's of professional lawn care guys. If you can't find the answer to your question, by all means, start a new discussion and ask your question. Lets keep it clean though, because there are women and children that also read these posts from all over the world. I realize most everyone has heard about every cuss word out there, but we don't need to hear them again.

I also have a search page on my website to help out members to make it easier. On my site, click on Lawnsite Links and there you will find 76 topics with all the search results. Just click the topic of interest to get the results.

There is a forum for advertising your equipment for sale so please put your ads there and not on this one. That forum helps fund Lawnsite.com, so don't try to sneak in any ads here or they will be deleted. There is a forum for about anything connected to our business, so enjoy them all.

Don't forget to click on the banners at the top. This helps fund Lawnsite by visiting these sponsors. This is the least we can do for Chuck, so go click on them all now and see what they have to offer. I visit them daily and if everyone did, it would help off set the cost of running this site, BIG TIME.

I have a Chat Room for Lawnsite members which can be found on my website. You can get to it by clicking on my signature below any of my posts. To make it easier to get back there, just save the URL in your favorites. The Lawnsite Chat Rooms are the second and third chat rooms towards the bottom left side of the first page. It is set up for using AOL Instant Messenger which can be downloaded on the links page on my website if you don't already have it. It is free to download and use and lots of fun for most. If you already have AOL as your ISP, you still need to download AOL Instant Messenger. You need the program called AIM95 which stands for AOL Instant Messenger.

We have been getting 10 at a time there lately with some coming and going all evening. Normally the people have been chatting there around 8:30 to 10:30 Central time, but you could catch someone there about anytime. If someone isn't there when you get there, just minimize the window and go back to Lawnsite and wait for someone to get there. When someone sends an instant message, you will hear a sound if you have the sounds configured right and you have your volume up enough to hear it.

If the 2nd Chat Room gets to full or the younger guys would rather chat by themselves, there is another Chat Room below the 2nd one that is available too. The top Chat Room was originally set up for Dixie Chopper owners, so that is why it is Labeled that way still. Come and join the fun when you have a chance and enjoy.

There is another issue that needs to be brought up for anyone chatting in the chat rooms. The Chat Room is considered part of LawnSite and the language rule is in affect there also. I can't be there at all times to monitor this, so keep it clean.

I also have noticed a lot of dealers and Mfgs. joining Lawnsite.com and I would like to let you know we welcome you.

I would like to let you know that Mfg. and Dealers that put up a banner with your link on it to your sites, is what funds Lawnsite.

It is not fair for other Mfgs. and dealers to try to attract members to your site and not help out funding this forum. If this happens, you can end up losing your membership.

If you want to sell used Equipment on lawnsite.com, you have to place an advertisement in the Used Equipment Marketplace forum.

For you new members that don't know, Chuck Keough is the Administrator/Owner of this great forum and I'm an Administrator/Moderator. We have several dedicated moderators here, 1MajorTom, Paul, Lanelle, 75, Alan, Lonestarlawn, Davis TLC, Kirbys Lawn, Lawngodfather and turfquip. If you have problems or forum questions that you can't figure out, just email us. You can find my email address by going to any post of mine and look under any post of mine.

Thanks for reading this. :)

Edited by Eric ELM 9/22/2001

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Holy Moly Eric, that was good. :) You got everything covered there.

And for you guys that are into the snow plowing biz, there's a link at the top, www.plowsite.com. Don't forget to check that out. It's a another forum set up like this, with lots of good info too.

3. Eric ELM

Well Jodi, I did forget to tell about www.plowsite.com and also that the truck forums are also there at plowsite now. I didn't do as good as you think. :)

Thanks for bringing that up.

4. Hello to Eric only! :)

I get real Jealous of Folks that make long Post, it really makes me look bad! Then I have to retaliate & make L o n g e r Post!

Hey maybe it's contagus & you got it bad like I do? LOL, I'm 8 up with it!

Eric, my friend you are truly a Advocate & Asset to Lawnsite.com & I hope Everybody Realize this!

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Now THAT'S funny Dave!!!

ROFLMAO!!!!:laugh:

Kris

6. Eric ELM

Well Grassmaster, I can post a long one once in a while, but you win the prize for being the most consistant long poster. :D

I also want to add that if any of you see a post in any thread or forum that you don't think should be there, PLEASE click on the Report a Post feature which emails each moderator on that forum to fix the problem.

This feature will be a big help to all moderators this fall and winter when these forums really get busy, so please use it if you see any violation of the Posting Guidelines.

7. Eric ELM

Please put your new threads in the correct forum. This will save Moderators from having to move them to the correct forum.

Everyone thinks that if they put their questions in the main forum, it will get more views. You would be surprised that members do check all the forums, so please put your new threads in the correct forum.

Thanks
    Eric

8. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Eric, I thought that you now had to put in a location to be able to register. I still see a lot of new people that do not put that in.

9. Eric ELM

Sammy, this was put into affect at about the first of this year. Anyone that joined in 1999 or 2000 it was voluntary, but I feel it is important to have in your profile. Anyone not having this information in their profile, PLEASE add it. If you don't know how, send your location to me and I will add it to your profile. Please put in your email what your Screen Name here is so I don't have to compare Screen names to email addresses.

The reason it is important is in certain questions, like what grass should I plant. It helps to know where you are located. We do not want your address, just what state and what part of the state is very helpful. It also helps when doing a search for how many members are from each state.

How about if someone has to many lawns to do and they do a search so they can give someone close to the some lawns. You may be screwing yourself out of some work by not having your location in your profile.

10. Eric ELM

We have several mfg banners at the top of each page, so please All Members, go visit these sites and see what they have to offer. This and member donations are what supports LawnSite.com

If you have something to add to a post at the last second after clicking on submit, go click on EDIT under your post and add what you have to add. You can do this up to 30 minutes after posting. I've noticed more than one member has 2 posts in a row and the times they were posted are the same. This will avoid 2 posts in a row.

This is what this feature is set at now:

Time to wait before starting to display 'edited by...'
    Time limit (in minutes) to allow user to edit the post without the [edited by xxx] message appearing at the bottom of the post. 4 minutes

Time limit on editing of posts
    Time limit (in minutes) to impose on editing of messages. After this time limit only moderators will be able edit or delete the message. 30 minutes

Time limit (in minutes) on editing of thread title, may be edited by the thread starter. 2 minutes

These times will be shortened if there is any abuse of this feature. At one time, there was no time limit on editing, but a whole big thread got deleted after the original poster deleted his post. If the original post gets deleted, so does the whole thread, so this is why you only have 2 minutes if you are the originator of a thread.