New method for cleaning parking lots.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmc456, Dec 7, 2004.

1. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

While visiting a manufacturing plant in Mexico this morning, I noticed their "grounds crew" and that is a loose term cleaning the parking lot.

There were 4 guys cleaning a parking lot the size of HomeDepot with small kitch brooms and dust pans. They were sweeping up the small pea gravel that collected on pavement. They weren't even push brooms. Just think how much money was saved using little $10 brooms instead of one $400 backpack blower.

My guys are gonna love this idea. I can't wait to tell them we are selling our blowers.

I might have to use this next season to help my bottom line.
  2. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Cool will you ship to CT and if so how much d :blob3: o you want for the blowers?
  3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Pull your tongue out of your cheek when you say that, eh?
  4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Believe it or not we had to do that at the school sometimes before an event. If the wind had been blowing that day the custodians had to go out there and hit the curblines to dress them back up before things started. Persoanlly I thought it was completely ridiculous but the admistration didn't.
  5. dmc456

Last year, at the same place, I saw the Maintenance crew hand pulling weeds from a gravel area about 30k sqft by hand. This was a decorative area and I couldn't believe they didn't spray them with roundup or something.

These guys were there all week hand pulling weeks and taking them away in buckets.
  6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Can't say we ever did that.
  7. dmc456

If I even joked about doing this I would get linched or be doing it myself.
  8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

30k sq ft the pain was so bad I did not see the job and my knees just screamed. ThatÂ’s just asking for agony picture their bloody finger tips and knuckles from that job I did 100 sq ft last year and let me tell you NEVER AGAIN.
  9. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I was in Honduras last year. Over there, lawnmowers are almost non-existent. They go get themselves a machete, get on their hands and knees, and have at it. They do this by the acre.

Man, am I spoiled or what?
  10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Reminds me of a Bolivian chic I use to date. She came over while I was roto-tilling the garden. She had no idea what a roto-tiller was, let alone the purpose of one. She was absolutely amazed at the piece of machinary.