New Method I Might Try Out!!!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by APV's Mowing, Jan 7, 2008.

1. APV's Mowing

APV's Mowing LawnSite Member

I am a firm believer in the look of a 21" cut, i think that it stands out and makes it look unlike any cut a larger mower can provide--on residential lawns. But for the sake of time and money, i had an idea. Use a quickie 32 for the sides and back yard, then use a 21" for the front yard. Do you think this will work, have you tried it, or would it just be a waste of time to go and switch out lawn mowers?:confused: I just bought a 21" Toro Commercial last summer and i dont want to not use it either!!! I also want to beable to get lawns done quicker then in 45 mins to an hr. Another idea i have is to charge diff. rates for people that want a diff. cut- all 21 more expensive, so on so on. ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS IDEA ARE WELCOME!!

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Keep the 21" for a backup. Being solo, you dont have time to do your lawns with a 21". A couple years ago I did quite a bit of 21" mowing, because my other option was a 30" Dixon that, well, wasn't cutting it. But when I upgraded to a (good) ZTR, i found my 21" gets used as little as possible. And FWIW, I fell my Walker cuts better than any 21" could ever dream of doing.

3. APV's Mowing

APV's Mowing LawnSite Member

my 21" Toro Commercial cuts great, its more of the look that i love. after putting countless hours in using a 21" im a master at stripping with a 21" haha. But i understand that its all about time, im thinking of doing about 30 lawns, this is my second year in the bizz and im still in highschool. I just dont know what else im going to do with my brand new $800 lawn mower. If i were to switch completly to a larger mower i would go with a 36" So i could do even more since i wouldnt be chargeing a premium on the extra time spent with the 21"

4. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Why not keep the 21" for gated areas and get a 42-48-52 WB or ZTR?

5. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

I often wondered about offering different levels of cutting quality. I settled on not, as i want things as simple as possible, and it makes standardization much easier. the stripes on the 36 and 48 won me over as well...

6. landstroker51

landstroker51 LawnSite Member

Buy a Ferris and it will look like a golf course. Everytime.

7. landstroker51

landstroker51 LawnSite Member

Buy a Ferris and it will look like a golf course. Everytime.

8. TwistedSister

TwistedSister LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

just use the quick as much as possible an use the pusher as a backup. If you only use the pusher once in a while, you will never have to worry about buying one ever again. But also consider that the operating cost of a quick is much higher than any push mower so just remember that when figuring rates.
    Profit=Income-EXPENSE