1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

NEW mft owner

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by DoubleDeuce, May 30, 2006.

1. DoubleDeuce

DoubleDeuce LawnSite Member

I bought a 42" mft over the weekend and have a question or two. What's the typical adjustment period for someone new to zero-turn mowers? Are there any useful tips, guides, sites for accelerating the learning curve on how to operate without tearing the yard up? Last but not least, do most people adjust the steering leevers closer to your body or further away (mine seem to be a positioned away)? Thanks and great site for info.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

i will take you a couple times mowing the lawn to get used to mowing and not tearing up the turf, practice some "K" turns and also the use of the levers evenly.
    As far as the levers go, I have a "gut" so I adjust mine out, but this is a personal preference and it is different for everyone.

3. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

Someone else recommended in another post to "remember" when you are turning, BOTH wheels should be turning in the same direction. IE Both forward or both backward. One should be turning faster than the other though. This has helped me out considerably.

"DoubleDeuce" mentioned having set his arms forward due to personal size. I think mine came just forward of center and I never found a reason to move them.

I can tell you that I have the armrests and only hold the levers with two fingers each on the vertical part of the handle, directly out from the armrests. This give me a little faster reaction time and I don't feel like I've been riding an "ape hanger" all day when I'm done the lawn.

Congrats on the new mower! :drinkup: Did you opt up to the Honda twin?
  4. DoubleDeuce

DoubleDeuce LawnSite Member

I went with the 17hp Kohler mainly bc that was the only one in stock. Hopefully this evening (weather uncertain) will attempt my 2nd mowing with it.