New Mini ex and Hourly rates

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Mini man, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Mini man

Mini man LawnSite Member

I currently own a Cat 262 Skidsteer and a Cat 303.5 mini ex.
    I am thinking of trading up to a 304 CR Cat but am a little dissapointed in the overall width increase from 5 foot to 6 foot six for the newer machine.
    Anyone have any comments on changing sizes?? pros and cons????
    Also : what type of hourly rates are people charging for thier mini- ex?
    I am $55 cnd./hr
  2. Mini man

Mini man LawnSite Member

I looked back a few pages and saw all the discussions on mini sizes...still need input on hourly rates though.
  3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

On the overall size: I went up last year from a 7500 pound conventional swing to a 12K zero swing/zero radius machine. The down side to this was: More difficult to tow. The added weight meant I had to upsize my tow unit. I went from a 3500 to a 5500 to be able to pull a mini ex and a skid steer. My width increased from 5' as you are to 6.6 feet. My existing trailers will just fit the machine (except gooseneck). As far as on the job it has been an issue a couple of times however not as much of an issue as I feared it would be. The upside is if you can drive it in, you can work it.

The upside to the increase in size and configuration to the zero swing/radius machine is much more versatility. The size of projects you can handle with the bigger machine more than makes up for its increase in size. I can dig with a 580 size hoe with this machine. This makes me more marketable than I was with the 7500 pound machine. It was the right decision for me, but of course your experience my differ.

On the rates: I was 55.00 an hour on the 7500 pound machine and was 65.00 last year on the 12K machine and this year I moved it to 70.00. No one has complained.
  4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I know 12,000lb mini hourly rate is 65 dollars per hour CND a smaller machine I don't think I would go any higher than 65. The local rental shop rents a 325 Bobcat for 300 dollars for 8 hr day its a 6000lb machine.
  5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Man, I don't know how you guys make any money. We charge $75 an hour for our Cat 216 skid steer and $90 an hour for our Cat 303CR excavator. Of course, the building and development economy around here is going nuts.
  6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

If you can get it, thats great. There is no way I can get 75 dollars an hour for any skid steer much less a small one and 90 on a mini ex in this market would tough, maybe not with homeowners but with contractors. Here, a 200 size excavator goes for 110 an hour and a 120 for 90. A backhoe goes for 70 which is what I priced my excavator at. The difference is except for other contractors or in certain situations do I work by the hour. I much prefer to work by the job. More profitable that way, usually. Example I bid my lawn prep jobs and usually make 100-150 an hour on them. However if I told them I would be 125 an hour they would flip out. The competion would eat me alive. I guess that is why I keep upgrading equipment. The more productive we are the profitable we are. If your area will support your pricing thats all that matters. Its not too much as long as people will pay it.
  7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Right, I see what you're saying about charging more per hour when you bid, as long as you don't tell them what you're charging an hour you can get away with it. 200 size excavators around here are going for about $150 an hour and 120 size machines about $130 or so, but like I said, all of the excavation guys here are booked out about 6 weeks in advance, nobody is hungry for work, so they'll charge what they want for their services because if you want it done, you'll pay it. Contractors know this, but they still try to jack us around about pricing for retaining walls, etc. We usually tell them to call an excavation guy and see what what happens, they usually just laugh, especially when the builder wants it done in less than a week.
  8. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

Do you guys go rent it out to an outfit or are you talking about going to a site and you run the machine for that hourly rate?