New Mini Z

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by carrie1, Mar 2, 2006.

1. carrie1

carrie1 LawnSite Member

My new Mini Z just arrived and I'm tempted to give it a wax and polish before the mowing season starts !!!

Based upon input in this and other forums, I decided on the Mini Z 52" deck with 23 hp Kawasaki. It is more than I need (wayyyyy more than I need) but I tend to buy quality tools that will last a long time. I currently have a 2 acre yard with a few small hills and and an average amount of obstacles. However, I will not need to buy another lawmower in the future if I ever get a bigger lot with big hills (thats my story and I'm, sticking to it!)

Questions:
    (1) The mower came with a mulch kit installed. I saw three plates bolted under the deck to prevent discharge of clippings. Is there anything more to it than that?
    (2) With the mulch kit installed the clippings are not sent out the disharge chute. Is it reasonable to remove the disharge chute? (It will allow closer cutting on both sides of the mower and easier passage through tight spots.)
    (3) Any other suggestions to improve mulching performance?
    (4) What towing kits are available? (I won't need a ball, just something simple to connect my wife's small garden trailer.)

Thanks

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Congratulations on the new Hustler! and welcome to the family!!

1) No, other than installing mulch blades, that is it.
    2) As long as you have the mulch kit installed you are ok to remove the discharge chute, and re-install it when removing the mulch kit.
    3) Try our wavy mulching blades or our Gators, your dealer may have already installed a set of them, I don't know.
    4) There is a hitch kit, it is part # 357897 and has a MSRP of $32.00

Pj

3. tk378

tk378 LawnSite Member

Someone told me that there is now a cover for the chute with a Hustler mulch kit?

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The mulch kit comes with the plate that closes off the discharge opening, it always has.

5. jeffack1

jeffack1 LawnSite Member
    from SC

Carrie1,

When/if you change to the mulch blades, please let me know how they perform for you.

I have a mini z 52/23 that I just purchased new a couple of months ago that has the mulch kit installed on it, but I have not changed from the fushion blades to the mulch blades yet.

I am having a problem with grass, dirt, etc... blowing out from the front of the mower. PJ recommended changing to the mulch blades, but I have not had a chance to get over to the dealer and pick up the mulch blades yet to give them a try.

If the mulch blades are recommended with the mulch kit, I sure wish they were sold as part of the kit.

Jeff

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

You need to change to the mulch blades, you will notice a difference.
    We do offer a mulch kit for your mower with blades, here is the information...
    Kit, 52" Mulch, FasTrak / Hustler Mini Z / Super Mini Z Part # 102640 MSRP $125.00
    (with serial # 05050800 or after/ larger opening) includes mulch blades

7. jeffack1

jeffack1 LawnSite Member
    from SC

PJ,

Thanks again! I am going to pick some up next time I am at the dealer. My dealer is almost an hour away so I just have to make it a point to get over there.

I will post back as soon as I install them and give them a try.

Jeff

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Call him and have him UPS them to you.

9. tk378

tk378 LawnSite Member

PJ,

Do you think I should use the blades that come with the new mower or go ahead and purchase the mulch blades on the front end with a new purchase? I ordered the mulch kit already? Super Mini Z with 44" deck.

Thanks,

Tad

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

If you are using the mulch kit you need to run the mulch blades,part # 794693
    When your not running the mulch kit run the stock blades that come on your mower.

Pj