New MiniZ - deck protection question...

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by phil41dean, May 10, 2007.

1. phil41dean

phil41dean LawnSite Member

Hi PJ,

Just bought a new Mini Z 19/52 for about 3 acres residential. I should be getting it tomorrow and look forward to many years of playing with it.

Now to business, I had a question regarding maintaining the deck. From a few searches I see many people suggesting things like Mo-Deck, Fluid Film, or even PAM to ease the removal of grass from under the deck. I try not to mow wet grass, but have had to mow fairly tall grass on occasion. I live in the mid west, Iowa, and can't always afford the time to mow two or three times a week. My question is this:

How does Hustler suggest keeping the deck clean and maintained? I didn't see anything about this in the user manual online.

I know not to pressure wash it and I can see a blower helping with keeping the top of the deck clean. I also know this mower will not be easy to get underneath. Just thought I would ask while it was still new and hopefully save myself some headache in the future.

Thanks,
    Philip

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The best way to keep it clean is by jacking it up and getting under it and scraping it clean.
    I am not sure of the proven effectiveness of any spray on films and such...
    If the grass is mostly dry you wont have a build up issue.
    Oh...
    Welcome to the Hustler family!! and congrats on the new mower!!

Pj

3. bigbone

bigbone LawnSite Member

I only mow dry grass and I always have build up with a mulch kit.

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I see from your signature that you are running Gator blades, have you run the wavy mulching blades?

5. bigbone

bigbone LawnSite Member

No I haven't yet. I will though. I thought Gators would do a better job mulching than the wavy blades. I will also try the high lift and the Gator Magnums.