New Mobil 1 EP in hydro's?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Soupy, May 2, 2005.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I know that it has been fine to use Mobil 1 15-50 in the hydro's, but is there anything wrong with using the new Mobil 1 Extended performance 15-50. I can't find the old stuff. I read somewhere on another forum that the Extended performance oils should not be used in autos under warranty, but I think that is for extended drain recommendations.

I am approaching the 50 hour mark (probably tomorrow) and need to know if the oil I have is fine? It says it meets API service SL/CF.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You will be fine, as long as it is the correct weight.

Pj

3. Soupy

PJ, when the manual says 1" from top of reservoir. Is that from the top of the fill? or the top not counting the neck of the fill? Or in terms of the little screen. Do we fill to the top of screen (which in top of reservoir not counting fill neck) or 1" below the top of screen.

I figured it was 1" from top of screen but I'm only using 3 3/4 quarts oil to get to that level. The manual says 3.79 liters which is just over 4 quarts. Maybe 1/4 of quart doesn't come out, but I let it drain for almost an hour while eating dinner.

Will it hurt to overfill? I'm thinking the overfill will purge out on it's own through the cap vent.

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

It is one inch from the top of the reservoir, as in the top plate, not the top of the fill or cap area.
    I always refill till the oil is just touching the bottom of the screen.
    You will not be able to get all of the old oil out, just refill with your new oil and you will be fine.

Pj

5. Soupy

That is what I thought and have always done. I just thought it was time to make sure since it is only taking 3 3/4 quarts.

About the overfilling. I'm about 1/2" from the top (I was thinking it wouldn't fill up until I got closer to the bottom of the 4th quart).... Should I drain some, or will it just purge out? If I don't hear back tonight I will drain some just to be safe.

Thanks PJ for your help

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I would run it for a few minutes and see if it drops, it likely will due to some air in the system from you draining the oil.
    If it does not drop I would drain the excess oil.

Pj