New Model Toro Gear Drive Owners:

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AltaLawnCare, Nov 9, 2001.

1. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I just had the brake retrofit done on my Toro 52" Gear Drive.

It handles like a completely different machine. I drove it around a little in the parking lot, but haven't tried it out very good yet. There's a lot more travel between forward engage and braking on the T-Bar. Now it actually has a "neutral" position. The brakes come on much more gradually and don't lock and slide the tires.

It still feels "heavy", but nothing like before, the belts are way out of adjustment, so, I'll be able to tell more when I can readjust everything and give it a good try. I got a lot of leaves to tackle tomorrow, I may try to block off the chute and use it some (been mulching with the JD345).

If anyone has this model, take it to the dealer and get this done!
    ;)

2. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

What is a brake retrofit.

3. AltaLawnCare

4. AltaLawnCare

Tried the Toro out again last night. Had to run back and forth in front of the motion light.:(

The only way I could slide the inside tire on a turn was to really jerk back hard on the bar!:)
    Now, if you let go of the bar, you can pull the mower back, like a neutral (the way it's suppposed to be).

It seems to be handling good now. Before the brakes would grab and lock the inside tire - even after 100 hours. A rep from Toro emailed me and told me about the brake retro fit.;)