New motor on troybilt 33" mower-any difference?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Mar 31, 2003.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I was at my local dealer today. He showed me the new Troybilt 33" mower. It now comes with a 9 hp Briggs and Stratton IC OHV motor? Does anyone feel that this would improve the performance of the mower over the old side valve motor they had?
  2. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

I personally don't think it would. I bought one of those mowers 2 years ago and I hate it. Gonna replace it with a 36"-48" Toro or Exmark this year. Your hands cramp up pretty quick on that machine.

Just my $.02.
  3. joed

What did you not like about the Troybilt? Was the cut quality poor?

4. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

I did not like the quality of the cut, it had timed blades so if the blades caught on something it smashed them both, cost $35 for new blades. Worst of all was the pistol grips that cramp your hands like no tomorrow. Alot of other mowers use pistol grips, but I have never felt one that had a spring as strong as the troy-built. The decks on them are pretty thin too, not like a commercial mower which are thicker.
  5. joed

NY Rookie,

Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping that there would be some positive to this machine, especially with an OHV engine. I also like the price in comparison to the commericial 32" units, which I can't afford at this time.
  6. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

joed, I've got a Troy Bilt 33" with the 9.5 HP motor, I love it. You can't beat it for the price. Ya sure alot of other mower are a little more comfortable and but can you get one for $1200??? I find the cut quality to be pretty good. Its a tank, I use it alot to cut down tall grass and it works great. Mulches great. Definatly worth the money in my book.
  7. mathproshs

mathproshs LawnSite Member

Agree with the last post. Have had to play with the mowing height a bit but at 3 inches cuts like a dream. Have even made a home made striper for it. Blades are 15 for the two at lowes. I will get the mtd part number if anyone is interested posted as they come in packages of two.

Regarding the pistol grips, I coated mine with two layers of grip rite...used normal on hand tools...they feel much better now.

I am next going to put double blades on there.

Just my two.

8. shm

shm LawnSite Member

i haven't been happy at all with this low heights it cuts well...but as soon as you rasie the deck the vacuum action is just not what it should be...i have the 9hp i/c engine...i have run over a leaf and it is still there after the pass...totally unacceptable.....not a bad machine for the money but could be so much more...i am looking at exmark metros to replace it..

mathproshs- how did you make the stripe kit for it?...does it work well? any pics?....what setting is 3inches on your machine...mine has letters for deck height.......maybe better blades would be a improved addition to this mower.....meg-mo blades probably would help
  9. galagers

galagers LawnSite Member

shm the letter for 3" is between "B" & "C". I have one that I use for now and as long as the bottom of the deck is kept free of build up it works well at all heights. I found as soon as I let any trash build up after heavy rains and fast growth that my cut quality went down hill fast. I then took the machine to a car wash on the route and shot clean the underside and was back to cutting great. I also try to keep a spare set of sharp blades on hand. If anyone knows where to get a set of blades other than MTD I would Like the info, want to try something with a mulch blade to maybe get a faster tip speed to help the engine. The problem I have found is the hole for the blade is type specific. Hope this helps.
  10. shm

shm LawnSite Member

that's what i thought...i have cut around settings b and c and have gotten bad results...much better at e and f.. but i can't cut that low in the heat of july for most summers...the grass will simply burn out...maybe i need new blades....maybe i could try meg-mo's?...the problem i have is they came sharp from the dealer and i have gooten these results......

Joed- i thought you had some of the same problems as me with this mower?