New Motor or New Mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Coumbe, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Coumbe

Coumbe LawnSite Senior Member

I have a SCAG Tiger Cub with 2200 Hours on it. It's a 19 horsepowers and the motor is shot. We used it on tuff new properties for a few years. The deck has is in goog shape(very little rust and no cracks) I already replaced 1 spindal and the wiring harness. How long should the Hydro pumps last if I repower? Or is it time to spend $7,000 for new insted of $2,000 for the motor????

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

IMO I would spend the money on a new one. no headaches and no worries if parts will last or not.

3. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

hide the one you broke away till you get a new motor for it and get a new one. Its better to have a spare then nothing

4. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

repower the whole unit pumps and everything. If you do not have a back up buy a new one. If you do have a back up repower the one you have.....

5. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

a new motor and see if you can put a bigger motor on it should be less than $2000 if the pumps are not leaking then do not worry about them i use to have one with over 4000hrs and two motors later we sold it

6. Coumbe

Coumbe LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah. It has no leaks and no hesitation, the hydro's seem good. 19 HP KAW has been all we needed in the past and I bet a new one will feel a lot stronger.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Well I am a replace the engine kind on guy....but I had to put a pump on my Scag Tiger Cub at 960 hours.....probably would have been $600 at dealer. If you can get a Kohler it might be cheaper....what is shot on the engine that it can't be rebuilt? I am also surprised at spindles and engine going at that low use unless it was hard use.

8. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

coumbe..Sent you a pm

9. Skyking

Skyking LawnSite Member

10. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member