New Mower Breaks After 30 Minutes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Apr 14, 2003.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I hope it's not a bad omen! It turns out the mule belt pulley is in two pieces. Its was tack welded together, but they forgot to do the main weld. The dealer , Gravely-Hockessin, dropped what they were doing and got me back on the road. Also on the last lawn of the day, the electric clutch on the Grasshopper burned up. Enclosed is a photo of half the pulley.

2. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't feel too bad, had a bran new exmark that did not even make it on to the first yard. :confused:
  3. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Year ago I had a new 14 h.p. Kaw. blow on the first lawn. It had plenty of oil in it. I took it back to the dealer and he said there wasn't any oil in it. I told him that I made sure it had oil in it myself. He than it had oil in it but not that much. At any rate he said he could give me $50 towards a new engine. After a few choice words I told him to keep his $50. Why on earth would I buy another new engine from him. My lawyer told me to just write it off. Travis
  4. hustlers

hustlers LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

ive had the same problem with
    a few B&S engines, thats no fun
  5. I had an electric clutch go caput on me right after they installed a new one, 1 hour after I pulled away after they told me there was nothing wrong with the first clutch.

2 clutches in 2 hours.
  6. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Mine exploded a pulley just as a big thunderstorm started to come through last spring. Had to finish with my 36, I looked like a drowned rat when I got done.

Dealer said they must of had to much tension on the pulley when they put it together. Had it back the next evening and no problems since.
  7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

My Exmark has had no problems thus far. My old Toro rider I had broke constantly. I blew 3 belts in 2 months, 2 of those were brand new. I broke a weld on the deck, don't know how that happened, I just looked down at the carrier frame and it was snapped off. Stuff happens.