New mower choices.... help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by advantage landscaping, Nov 3, 2007.

1. advantage landscaping

advantage landscaping LawnSite Member

I have been running a 36" Scag for a while now and am excited to get into something larger. I still want to stay with a walk-behind, but other than that I am at a loss. I have a bunch of them that I am considering, and my budget is $2200 and under. What is a good suggestion? And I am stuck with that budget no going over :) .

I am looking at hydros and belts. I think belts are more commonly used and cheaper to run, but other than that I have no preference. I tried a hydro and though it was tough to drive... I thought it was really jumpy. I did like the reverse though, that was nice.

What do you guys think I should be looking at?

The machine is for next year. I need something 48"-60". It must stripe really well. It will be part-time, for about 16 accounts weekly (under 16 hours). They are fairly flat. A few "landscaping" hills - made to build the house and covered with grass, but nothing really major at all. Very few natural, large hills, and nothing I can't do with my scag belt drive. A few trees but again, not tons of them.

2. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

You are not going to find a new belt drive walkbehind machine 48" or bigger for that price. Expect to spend $3k for a new machine.

3. advantage landscaping

I am not looking new I am looking used. Forgot that - would have been very key information.

4. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

You can find a almost new belt drive mower for around $2000-$2500 if you look on craigslist or the local paper but it might take some time. If your interested I have a 48" bobcat wb thats almost new that I'm selling for $2100 but you would have to pick it up in nj.

5. advantage landscaping

Haha sorry but I would never drive a day and a half for a mower.

6. Cheapscapes

Cheapscapes LawnSite Member

i picked up a Lesco 48" Hydo, used this year for 1800$, makes a nice stripe, i still perfer my scag ride on..

7. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

there is a mower i can get my hands on for 1000 bucks an its a 52 bunton hydro with 800 hours, velke included nice machine for the money!

8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Check around with dealers in your area sometimes they have good machines that they take trades on. Sometimes you can get an almost new machine that somebody bought but didn't like and brought back or a low hour machine that was traded in for a new one.

9. mvp services

mvp services LawnSite Member
    from Avon,CT

I heard Lesco was bought out by John Deere Landscapes and that they will be dumping all the Lesco mowers cheap this December. Their 48 retails at about $2800. The guy I talked to said it will go for about $2000 this December.

10. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Then the trick will be getting parts and service