new mower decison for 2007

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mlc gmc03, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Mlc gmc03

Mlc gmc03 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

over the last few weeks we have spent much time looking at new mowers and really like the new toro diesel ztr lately i have worried about is size and wieght on residental lawns which is mostly what it will be used on , so i have thought maybe it would be a option to just buy two 48in hydro scags which could prob be bought for around the same price as that toro. So i guess my question would be would you rather take a crew with say a 36in walkbehind and the 52 or 60in toro diesel or the 2 scag hydros and a 21 in toro
    thanx matt

2. Jeds_Lawn_Care

Jeds_Lawn_Care LawnSite Senior Member

If you can, get a diesel that says KUBOTA on it, or has Kubota engine.
    I don't know much about diesel mowers except;

40% LESS FUEL CONSUMPTION

KUBOTA'S ARE GOING TO BE THE CHEAPEST DIESEL YOU CAN FIND. THE USED MARKET IS LOWERING ITS PRICES FOR THE 21/25/28 ZDS. ESPECIALY SINCE THE NEW MODELS CAME OUT. BUT I REALLY THINK EVEN A NEW ZD IS GOING TO BE CHEAPER THAN ANY OTHER DIESEL YOU FIND.

I DON'T ANYTHING ABOUT YANMARS, CATS, OR DAIHATSUS BUT I KNOW KUBOTA MAKES A SOLID MACHINE. TORO MAY MAKE A FINE DIESEL....I JUST KNOW KUBOTAS (ZDS) ARE GOOD.

MY DAD JUST BOUGHT A 21HP/60" STAMPED DECK (NOT PRO-DECK) W/ LESS THAN 200 HRS. FOR $6K

IF YOU DECIDE TO GET A DIESEL, LOOK INTO A KUBOTA.

HTTP://WWW.KUBOTA.COM

3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

well Toros diesel is kubota...so that settles that. I am in the same position you are...i really want to get the Toro diesel, but am scared of the weight...

4. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

if its just residential i would get two scag hydros, a 61 and 48

5. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

if your going to be doing stricly residentials. id say stick with the 2 hydros. but if you plan on taking on some bigger accounts.. maybe a ZTR would be a wise purchase. If you get the hydros you can always get a sulky for them and make up for not having the rider. so i guess in the end... id say get the 2 hydros. just my .02

6. Mlc gmc03

from Indiana

i guess one concern i have with the walkbehinds is we get alot of leaves here so the bagger would be real nice. right now i have a exmark lazer zhp with the power catcher tiger cub with power catcher turf tiger with power catcher 2 48 in scag walk behinds and 3 scag 36in walkbehinds. the toro wouldnt be just residential we do some comercial places large apartment complexs and hoa's but its not going to be on huge acreage areas atleast for now

7. Raven386

from CT

hmm. your really stuck between a rock and a hard place with this one.

8. Mlc gmc03

from Indiana

ya lol because we could get by with the amount of riders i have now and yet we also have enough walkbehinds to get by when the ground is soft or for thoose smaller yards. One thing that has swayed me towards the toro a little bit is that finnancing 3 yr 36 0% sure is nice

9. Raven386

from CT

assuming you have a 61" TT it weighs in at 1445 LBS. the Toro 60" Diesel = 1630lbs. But with the collection system on it, your going to be adding some weight to it.

10. Mlc gmc03

from Indiana

my tt is actually a 52 its a few years old so ya idk its a hard decison when u are talking about 10,900 for a lawnmower thanks for the interaction it helps me to think about the purchase from all sides