1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New mower don't handle too well?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1grnlwn, Aug 31, 2003.

1. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

You know all those little ajustments you think of while mowing and then forget at the end of the day when peeling off your sweat drenched tee? Well I had noticed that my Toro Zmast front wheels did not spin real free and neither did the casters. They were not froze or anthing, but snug. The machine was always a little sluggish compaired to my ferris. Surely I reasoned that this little resistance up front would not make a difference on this heavy machine. I took time to adress this anoyance the other day and WOW it made a big difference. So if your machine is a little sluggish, check the casters and front wheels. Probably just killed the hillside performance, but thats why I have the ferris.
  2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

1grnlwn--the suspense is killing me. howinthehell did you get the front spindles and casters to do what you have said?:confused:

I, for one, could never imagine myself neglecting the front spindles/casters in the manner that you suggest.

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Grease! :D On a more serious note, sometimes the castors on my TTHP feel a little sluggish right after greasing. Maybe it's just my mind playing tricks on me.
  4. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

It's just your mind, period!:D Just joking, don't take offense, couldn't resist.

Funny, I just did the same clean & grease front spindle thing, WOW indeed. First, couldn't believe how dry they were, then how maneuverability improved.
  5. 1grnlwn

Actually this is a newer machine 150 hours or so. And the spindles were too tight from the factory. They are sealed like the front wheel bearings on a car. I had to remove the dust cap and loosen the nylock nut. The wheels were just a matter of loosening the axel bolts until the wheel spun smoothly. Not a lack of maintanance just misassembly.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Please note that the front wheels aren't supposed to spin freely. With the front end up, when you spin the front casters, you should only get about one revolution or so. The same applies to the front casters. They are supposed to be rather firm. Yes, it is possible that they were too tight from the factory, but they shouldn't just twirl freely, either. They are like this for a reason.
  7. 1grnlwn

Sure I could see some value in the casters being snug but not the wheels. Anyway the machine handles a LOT better.
  8. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Yes the wheels have to be snug. At 300 hours, I had to rebuild my left front hub on the Lazer.

Both Lazer and Metro front wheels are snug now.
  9. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) Don't you have a screw that you can take out and put grease zerks in them? Even that new 580 i demoed had those....Marks Mowing Service
  10. 1grnlwn

Yes I do. But it had PLEANTY OF GREASE. The jamb nut was too tight. I am sorry I brought it up!