new mower for 2003 season?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gordons lawn, Jan 19, 2003.

1. gordons lawn

gordons lawn LawnSite Member

i own (2 ) 1995 toro 52" hydro walkers with jungle wheels. i also own a 1996 toro 120 front deck 52", i was thinking of buying a ztr mower, but wow so many out there to choose from , my properties are all different, some are flat, some are hilly, some small and some large. i sure love my toro hydro walkers, they are fast and cut pretty decent. .... any help from u guys would help me! thanks, Jim Gordon:

2. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

The only thing I can tell you is demo all the ones your interested in.Take them to your toughest lawn and see which one is the best for you.

3. matitude

matitude LawnSite Member

I agree demo as many as possible to see which suits you best. Try talking to other guys in your area to see whats working for them.

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Sometimes a ZTR is not the answer to all of your lawns. Keep in mind that you'll probably still have to use your walkbehinds. I've been systematically getting rid of lawns that I can't use my ZTR's on.

5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

And that's fine with me:) Actually, I like that. I'm getting more of the smaller lawns, and I'm charging more per hour for them. AND, people are happy to pay the extra amount, since the ZTR's guy's don't want them. Guess this is turning into the "SNOWPLOW" syndrome of "You want it, you're gonna pay for it"!
    Thanks, guy's..............
    Pete

6. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Ditto Pete!!!
    I love smaller lawns since those ZTR guys can't run through tight-spaced trees and flowers stuff with 52 or 60" deck, my WB takes it over cause it snakes through and spins around , look for more...:blob3:

7. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I will be purchasing a new 34-36" mower this spring, but have yet to nail down which one. Stander or Encore Z-34. IMO a small ZTR or a stander is far more efficient than a walk behind, especially if you want to do more than just cut grass.
    Prob going to go with the Encore Z-34. Would do a stander if the 36" deck was a floater for easy adjust and i could easily tow with it. In my area a Z-34 is about 4,300 and a stander about $4,500 right now.

8. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

No Encore bashing, but is the Z-34 capable of towing what you are thinking about?

I towed an aerator with weights on it with my Toro 19hp Z and it was all it could handle.

If you are looking at towing things, make sure you really have the capability with whatever you get.

9. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

10. Rodney Johns

Rodney Johns LawnSite Member

I am a Walker fan and with the addition of their new walk behind they will be theonly company to offer interchangable decks between both a ztr and a walk behind mower. Kind of the best of both worlds. Something to check into and demo at least.