New mower for a begninner?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kungfu, Jun 21, 2008.

1. kungfu

kungfu LawnSite Member
    from texas

2. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

If you are looking for a 21 go commercial. You will save money because you will have less down time.

3. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i dont know about spending the $$$$$ on a commercial 21". i would buy a cheaper one that had dealer support around. dont spend too much, once you get a few good yards your going to want a bigger mower anyway and the 21" is going to be a backup.

4. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

trust me stay away from homeowner mowers. If you can't afford a new commercial one look @ your local Honda or Toro dealer for used ones. and start from their.

5. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I wont ever by a new 21". Im looking for another on craigslist at the moment. I dont pay more then about $35-$50.00 per push mower I get. Although I am on my 3rd push mower in 2 years. Im still under $75.00 :)

6. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

smart man!

7. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

What size lawns will you most likely be mowing? If your mowing 1/4 acre or less lots, then that may be all you will need. If this is the case and you have $1k or so, I would buy a new or slightly used commercial mower. If you are going to be mowing anything bigger than a 1/4 acre, you eventually gonna want either a Walkbehind, or a Zero turn. If this is the case, then I'd spend less than $600 on a new one. I wouldn't buy the one that you have up there. Go to your local Toro dealer. They should be able to set you up. A Super Recycler, which is the next step up, would probably be a good choice for you.

8. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Check with a good local dealer. Service is poor from the big box stores. I would look for a good used 36" commercial mower if you can't afford a new one. Unless you are only doing very small lawns.

9. SIWEL

SIWEL LawnSite Senior Member

i would look for a used commercial mowers... there are deals out there

i bought an older 52" Toro walk behind for a back up for $400.00
    it has paid for itself twice atleast from the 2 weeks it mowed over 25 acres in 2 days!!!

10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Yep need more info, like size of lawns you plan to cut, how many you plan to cut a week, etc. If you are talking 15 1/4 acre lawns a week, that might be a bit much for the mower you described. Might want to step up the the Toro Super Recycler or PT21 trim mower.
    If only a couple lawns a week, by all means try the Lowe's special.

Only if you plan to use your 21" extensively should you plan to get a commercial 21". Those machines are way, way overpriced to be used anything less than full time cutting.