1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Mower Idea....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wells, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Why have no mowing companies come up with a ZTR mower with wings that can be easily added or removed to increase or decrease the cutting width?

I find that on small residential yards a 36" mower is ideal but on large commercial properties and 52", 60" or 72" is more time efficient and economical but all these different size mowers start to get spendy.

So now lets look at the idea of only having to purchase one size mower, lets say the original mower is a 36" and you have the ability to add a 18" wing to the left side of the mower to make the mower a 54" cut and a wing to the right side of the mower to increase the mowing cut to 72".

Now the upside to all this is you only have to buy one mower but it would have the capability of adapting to all situations.

Of course the mower would need to be built on a stronger frame for the added weight of the wings and would need more horsepower than a standard 36" but both those things could be easily configured by the manufacturer.

Anybody have any thoughts???
  2. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

Cub Cadet is not my favorite brand but they came out this model year with what they call the Z Wing 48. The deck folds up at the flip of a switch so that you can easily drive through a 36" gate, then folds back down to make a 48" mower. They are still working out the kinks, but it is not too bad of a unit.

Have a great day,
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Go look at Northern Tool they have these drag along mowers with engines that you could pull with a 36" rider.
  4. grassworks

grassworks LawnSite Member

If "flex" misses this one.........
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Oh,...HE won't! LOL
  6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

You guys beat me to it.....LMAO
  7. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

goes from 48 to 36.....

8. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Great Dane gateway
  9. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

LOL - I didn't miss this one for sure - Can't say much without being a sponsor, and that is the way it should be. Let it be said that the mower idea is out there already. Thanks Brad
  10. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

We run 5 mowers with add on decks and if change mowers today would have to put on more flex decks.