New Mower: If you could...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TPLawnPro, Jan 24, 2007.

1. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

For the 2007 season, if you are planning or could purchase one new walk-behind mower and one ZTR mower, which mower(s) would you most likely and realistically choose to add to your mowing equipment arsenal?

My choice(s) are:

Walk-behind: Wright Stander RH - 36"

ZTR/Rider: Walker MT (26 Kohler EFI) - with 42" GHS Deck and 9.5 Bushel Hopper

2. mowers1

mowers1 LawnSite Member

WHY 2 MOWERS?? TRY THINKING OF A STAND ON UNIT TO REPLACE BOTH - OR A BASIC WALK MOWER FOR CURBED AREAS AND BACK YARDS AND A STAND ON FOR ALL THE OTHER TURF AREAS, I THINK MY CREWS ONLY PUT ON ABOUT 5-10 HOURS A WEEK ON MY 36" WALKS BUT WE AVERAGE 35-40 HOURS ON MY GREAT DANE STAND ON UNITS, THE GUYS USE THEM FOR EVERYTHING AND SAVE A LOT OF TIME NOT HAVING TO USE A 36" TO TRIM OUT AREAS THAT WE COULD NOT GET TO WITH OUR OLD SIT DOWN RIDERS.

3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Well for starters, I don't think a stander even counts as a walk-behind.

Anyways,

WB - Toro 48" floating deck with T-bar

Z - Exmark Lazer Z XS 72" with Ultra Vac and 32hp Vanguard. Provided the fix for the Triton deck is worth a poo.

4. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

fiveoboy01
    "Well for starters, I don't think a stander even counts as a walk-behind."

REPLY: I agree. It really should be in its own category.

mowers1
    "WHY 2 MOWERS?? TRY THINKING OF A STAND ON UNIT TO REPLACE BOTH."

REPLY: I have thought about using Standers exclusively. But I'm just not too sure how effective they are at bagging. I won't be bagging my properties all the time; maybe 20% of the time.

5. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

WB: 52" Exmark Turf Tracer with a 23hp Kawasaki and a proslide.

ZTR: Toss up between a 66" Hustler Super Z with a 28EFI Kolher or a 66" Exmark Lazer Z XS with a 25hp Kubota or 35hp Briggs. I would have to demo to decide.

If Stander was another category, I would say a 52" Wright Stander with a 23 or 25hp Kawasaki.

6. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

You asked the question,, here is my answer:

36" Exmark Dual Hydro, Floating Deck

60" John Deere 757

Most all fo my properties are large enough and open enough to justify a Z, and I need the 36" for some back gates. The one I have now is a Belt Drive and I want to upgrade. I currently run a 54" 727, and would like a bigger one, but I have to get a larger trailer first, mine is only 6' wide and the 54" is the largest deck I can get in the door.

7. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I personaly have 2 walkers and love them, but we bag everything around here. I know they are not for everyone, but if you want one why not get a 48" deck or even look into the new 52 they are comming out with even though they are gona be hard to find. If you are going to have a 36" for small stuff id go for the bigger deck

8. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

anything with the SCAG name on it.

9. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

How about a price range. Are you ready to spend $15,000 or more?

10. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

*agrees* but i won't get air cooled engine options on ZTRs:weightlifter: