New Mower(!) No striping(?)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RV_Landscaping, May 7, 2002.

1. RV_Landscaping

RV_Landscaping LawnSite Member

Well...Finally got my first REAL commercial mower!!! :-D (no more 22" for full acre lawns).... SGAC 48" SW Belt...its used, a few years old... and (as I've posted before)--looks like it needs a new tranny....Doesn't run right at low speed.... But, I LOVE IT!

One problem....I've been striping quite nicely with my 22"--no attachments....This scag has the old deck....no striping...no rollers....nothing.... Anyone know if the newer striping kits might work with this older scag? I really can't afford to spend the money to buy and ship one of those rollers from an independent place (a few links have been posted)... but a couple of my customers love the stripes (and they certainly help to get more customers!) So just wondering if anyone has any ideas or experience in this area(?) Thanks.

2. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats! Must feel good. I think I've run one of these for a summer. Is the gear shift between your knees? I got killer stripes if it's the same unit.

This sucker should stripe without a kit. In fact , all commercial mowers ( heck, joe homeowners too ) should. The operator makes the stripes. Kits, deck pitch, and other adjustments can sweeten them up, but it's just laying grass over. If you work a quality stripe pattern, you'll get great stripes. Hope I didn't start a debate.

Check the drive belt and play with the adjustment before you toss the tranny. I thought the same thing and it turned out that someone welded the adjustable pully in place. I even thought I heard a grinding sound, the machine would not start moving or go up a hill without a push. I put on a bigger pully and all set.

Good Luck.

3. RV_Landscaping

Thanks! Yeah...gear shift in the middle...heheh...I know it *should* stripe without anything...I've been striping with my 22" without anything save the flap on the back.... But I'm just wondering if the results r gonna be any good--since its just the deck...no roller or flap etc. I'm gonna work with it on my parents lawn....see if I can get it going....but.... And yeah, a buddy and i r gonna pull it apart and look at the tranny....I've heard that often it seems like its shot but its just something minor...We'll see...although the way its kicking out I wonder :-/

4. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

AH HA!

You will get a good stripe!

You will also want to use your foot to shift gears, but resist the temptation.....I kicked the handle off of mine.

Have fun!

5. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

My SCAG walk-behind didn't stripe well either out of the box. You need the front of the deck to be slightly lower than the rear. I acheived this by placing two of the spacers on the front casters on the top, and two on the bottom. This gave me the forward pitch that I was looking for. I adjust my cutting height by moving the washers on the blade bolts. My mower had 4 washers, and I put two above the blades and two beneath. This allows me to mow at about 3.25 inches. Have really sharp blades as well. I change blades every day. I use two standard SCAG blades on the inside spindles, and a high lift on the outside. I'm still experimentin with blades though. My mower stripes great now.
    I'm designing a striping kit using fire hose. I'll let you know how that works.

Take care, Bill Craig!

6. RV_Landscaping

lol...ok, i'll remember that....no kicking--even if its stubborn or something...Thanks!

7. RV_Landscaping

OK...Thanks! I'm planning on playing with different deck heights...and the lower-in-front method worked well in the 22"--so I'll try your set-up..Thanks!

8. swn

swn LawnSite Member

What Bill said will probably make a big difference for you. Also (you probably already take care of this) try not to overlap too much. I think the less you overlap, the better, plus you are more productive. This was just on my mind, because I was watching a guy mowing for me this morning and he was overlapping at least 6" or more.

9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Between what Bill & Steve said that should cure the problem. If you overlap too much the stripes will go away.