1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

new mower opinions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by tugglelandscaping86, Feb 6, 2014.

1. gulfjoe

gulfjoe LawnSite Bronze Member

I had tons of issues with my 36" belt drive world lawn WB last season, and I also had poor support from the folks at world lawn. I finally had to fabricate a bushing out of nylon that kept getting worn out.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. gulfjoe

gulfjoe LawnSite Bronze Member

I had tons of issues with my 36" belt drive world lawn WB last season, and I also had poor support from the folks at world lawn. I finally had to fabricate a bushing out of nylon that kept getting worn out.

[​IMG]
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

You can get 20% off gravely if you buy a cheap push mower.

Sounds like you want a 460
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Even my local Kubota dealer will tell you to not buy one. Haha. They'd rather put you on an eXmark, for several reasons, including: parts availability, cost, reliability, serviceability, etc. As others stated, you don't want to deal with the breakdowns-end of a Kubota ZTR.

You need to figure out exactly what it is you want from this machine, how long you plan to keep it, what you REALLY need. You mentioned an ~$8800 mower and then a ~$12.5K mower. They're two totally different machines that offer totally different experiences. Likewise, engine choices are all over the place, too. I would absolutely recommend Kohler EFI, if it's available on the chassis you desire.

Why not keep running what you have? It has fresh power and $8K-$12K buys an awful lot of parts.

Is your expenditure of a new mower going to pay for itself? If you already have an equivalent machine, I'd run the thing until it broke in-two.

Everyone has different ideas of their "perfect mower". You need to spend a lot of hours researching machines and dealers (dealer support is a lot of why I run what I have). Then, make the decision on your own.

5. tugglelandscaping86

tugglelandscaping86 LawnSite Member

Your absolutely right. My mower has roughly 200 hours on it and I let a local gravely dealer install the new motor. They are excellent people to work with and you can buy a lot of parts for 8-12k. I can't justify buying a new one and even might buy another used gravely. I love it. Its a little older but hey its money going into my bank and no to a mower note. Thanks guys.

Posted via Mobile Device

6. jdgless

jdgless LawnSite Member

Worldlawn took over Encore in 2011. Their machines appear to be Encore machines with some modifications. Encore was started by the owner(s) of Exmark after they sold out to others. The Encore machines were much like the Exmark machines. I have had the Encore Extreme 52" riding mower for about 5 or 6 years and have abused the hell out of it, mowing 4 feet tall pasture, and rocks and pavement. Just ran into my first problem with it this last week, a motor wheel hydraulic line was rubbing against the frame and wore through, poor design aspect in an otherwise great performing machine. Tough to find dealers though!

7. RTR Landscaping

RTR Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with this. No matter what brand you buy, you will need service and parts for it. I would seek out the dealers of the various brands and normally you can determine if they are servicing a lot of LCO's. I run all Scags in my company. I've got a lot of great service out of Scag mowers, but most commercial mowers are built well. In my market Scag and Exmark are the most popular brands. It's no coincidence that of the best 2 dealers in town one has Exmark and the other sells Scag. I think all the brands you mentioned are good mowers except Bad Boy. Just my opinion, good luck!