New Mower or Enclosed Trailer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MIKEJ, Jul 4, 2003.

1. MIKEJ

MIKEJ LawnSite Member

Not sure what to do here. I have about 5 grand to spend on upgrading equipment and don't know if i should get a new mower or a enclosed trailer. I currently have a 48" Lesco belt drive as my primary mower,with only a 21" as my back up. I was thinking of getting a Hydro unit and keeping the current mower as a back up and for when I have a helper. I was also thinking of getting a 7x14 Enclosed Trailer to haul my gear, instead of the 6x12 open trailer I currently have. Now keep in mind I have no secure storage for my equipment ( Garage, shed.etc) so it just stays on the trailer in my yard with a trap over it to keep the weather off. The new mower would be nice, but my worst fear is someone robbing me blind. What would you guys invest in ? Thanks for any input.

2. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

If you don't need a mower, Why? Where whould you keep the mowers then? Outside to get weatherd?

If you don't need a trailer, Why? Enclosed looks nice, But what about fueling the mowers, Hulling leaves and things?

Maybe go both ways, finance.

Maybe a down payment on a Shop that will increase in value.

3. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

If you get the trailer, and the equipment is in the trailer you still are not safe with the trailer outside. So to me get a place to secure both the trailer,and the equipment. Then you can get whatever you want,and you can sleep at night peacefully. :cool:

4. the gravely man

the gravely man LawnSite Member

do you have space on your property to put up a building? instead of a mower or trailer. if so that is what i would do.

5. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Why not get both used?

6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I like the idea of getting both (maybe used), but if it were only one I think I would get the trailer. If you are concerned with theft and weather now, imagine how you would feel leaving that brand new hydro out in the open :D

Finance or lease the mower down the road.

7. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

My enclosed trailer saves me the worry of theft and rain - (there are certain neighborhoods where I lock it each time I remove a piece of equipment - I work alone).

It also keeps me from having to rent a place to keep equipment, or remove it each day.

It's only a 6x8, but I manage to carry the following equipment in it: Scag SW 32, 2 Trimmers, 2 handheld blowers, a 21" wb, shovels/rakes/extra parts/gas cans/extra clothing/ first aid/tools/etc/etc.

8. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Oops - I meant to attach this to my last post.

trailer1.jpg

9. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

E. Trailer is a winning move. Add the mower next year.

Get it plenty large and you can grow into it.

10. H2OandNcutter

H2OandNcutter LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Hey Guys,

Enclosed trailer, no doubt about it! Love having it. Now, if I can just get the hang of
    the backing thing...

I have one, and an enclosed car hauler, and wouldn't want to be without it. It is 6x16 and 6.5 feet tall inside.
    Tandem axle with four wheel brakes. I was going to buy the 6x14 but there was only $100 difference.
    It has a 30 inch door street side and a 48 inch ramp door on the curb side. There is a ramp
    door on the back with an aluminum flip down extension.

And, there is a fueling door, street side, about 16 inches square! Drive up to the pump,
    open the fuel door, insert nozzle, step inside, fuel mowers. Done deal!

Secure, time saving, equipment is dry and out of sight. The way to go!

R.S.