New Mower or not?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alternative, Mar 8, 2008.

1. alternative

alternative LawnSite Senior Member

Have a 2000 yr 60" Bobcat rider, done tons of repairs and actually had the engine rebuilt about 400 hrs ago. But thought of buying a new one at 10K is WOW! Economy isnt allowing for MAJOR purchases and still dont know what this season is gonna look like.

Dont know if I should keep and do any addtl repairs or just try and sell this one and buy a new one? Any input on preference to SCAG, Bobcat, Exmark, or others?
    Also what about the new lease program some dealers have?

Anyone interested in my bobcat, I am thinking of $3700 with a trac vac included.
  2. chipk1

chipk1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Many factors to consider. How dependable is the mower now? DO you anticipate much downtime in the near future. All mowers have a breaking point to which breakdowns start to effect profitability. Only you can really determine when that threshold is crossed.
  3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

What he said./\

Also, if your thinking of leasing versus buying. Talk to your accountant, lease payments are fully deductible, both have their advantages, just what works best for your company.
  4. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

just added a new exmark last of our exmarks (2003) is starting to nickle and dime us so we added this one and since the 03 still runs we kept it as a back up mower. which in the long run may be as good as selling it if the new one ever needs to go in the shop or you grow to needing a new mower
  5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I would definately go get yourself a new one. Once it starts to break down alot you can be sure that it is just going to have more and more problems down the road. You can get yourself a 56" Exmark Lazer HP for under 10K.
  6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yup, time for new. after a while, the repairs just eat too much time and of course money. a new one should not give you any problems and you could keep that one as a back up or whatever. it is nice to afford to have a back up. we now have a back up for every mower and they arent old ones either, all new or still great condition. finally!!!!!!!!!! why spend 10 grand unless it is high horse power or diesel. that is just stupid. everride is much cheaper and wroth it too. we have four of those, plus three kubotas and three standers. but the money goes the farthest with the everrides