1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Mower, Scag or Exmark?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LikeBrothers1, Feb 19, 2006.

1. LikeBrothers1

LikeBrothers1 LawnSite Member

I am getting a new mower for this season, something around a 48 inch cut. Can you guys give me any advice between a Scag and Exmark? What do you use and Why?
  2. ptimealltime

ptimealltime LawnSite Member
    from eastern

good question i asked the same one earlier today still no respose i am looking at the exmark frontrunner or a scag turf tiger

M RASCOE&SONS LawnSite Bronze Member

i have had both scagg and exmark and they are both good ,the onlly thing i would prefer on either model is i would want kawi power or the very least honda power.(just my preference on motors )

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We do scag,never been on a exmark people on this sight love em we don't bash.
  5. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think you can go wrong with either brand. Demo both, if possible, and go with the one that you think suits you best and has the better dealer service.
  6. CutRight

CutRight LawnSite Senior Member

my dealer sells exmark and scag. i own an exmark 52" hyrdo walker. the simplest difference that i get between the two is that scag is built more heavy duty to take abuse and exmark is built for best quality cut. and i agree with the quality cut. so if you're the one that is going to be operating the mower, go for the exmark. or if you want a durable mower that can take a beating. scag. i recieved some mailings from exmark however that some of their new decks are being built with more durable parts so i guess now theyre trying to combine the best of both worlds.
  7. firstclasslawncareandplow

firstclasslawncareandplow LawnSite Member

The other HUGE advantage to the new exmarks is the new triton deck. you can mow through a downpour and not get clumping!!!!!!!!!! NO JOKE, i have seen it...the guys had a fire truck swamp a large front lawn and then they IMMEDIATLY mowed for 45 mintes with NO clumps.....then the lifted the deck up and there was NOTHING stuck under it...i was impressed.
  8. TopNotchLS

TopNotchLS LawnSite Member

I got a Scag tiger cub 52" 24hp honda, I've tried ferris,Jd,grasshoppers and scag is the one I like best. Remeber to check out your warranties on the mower you get. Scag has a really good one. There decks are a tri steel deck. so check out all the information you can then choose
  9. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Did they do a side by side comparison and run the scag through it?
  10. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with the Exmark! Or if possible, get a Bob-Cat! My Bob-Cat and Toro Proline (same as Exmark) give quality of cuts that can't be beat, are built like tanks, and stripe extremely well!!! If Exmark and Scag are your only choices, I'd say go with the Exmark!:usflag: