1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Mower...SCAG or Gravely?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimmy Williams, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Jimmy Williams

Jimmy Williams LawnSite Member

I am looking at adding another ZTR mower and am considering a SCAG 61" or a Gravely 260. Any suggestions of which one to go with? I am currently cutting mostly residential between 1 and 5 acres so I am leaning toward a 60" deck. Tks JW
  2. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Cheaper, faster, more stadard options, and a better warranty.
  3. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Personal opinion, I like the Skag. Both Gravely and Skag, as well as several others are quality machines with various pluses and minuses. Check the specs, demo each and you'll see what's right for you.

Good luck....Jim
  4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I own the Gravely PM260 (2004) great mower. My dealer sucks. If I had to do it again I would by a Scag or Toro from the GREAT local dealer. No dig intended against Gravely. They bent over backwards with any issue I had, but I shouldn't have had to call them. My dealer should have fixed it. But he is one of the guys who doesn't like commercial people after the sale. Puts us in the same line as the homeowner for repair work.

I have the scag Zcat 36. really nice mower too. Broke the drive belt with only 24 hours on it, but same day replacement. That is what I call service.

If you do get the Gravely buy extra bolts and washers (upgrade to grade 8) for the front pivot arrester points. Unless you are mowing pool table flat lawns mowing with the "suspension system" active only makes for unpredicable scalping issues.

Other than that, I really like my mower. at 210 hours.
  5. Dirt

Dirt LawnSite Member

One word"eXmark"
  6. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

hmm, nope, exmark is gravely or scag. anyways, i have a 260 and love it. i wouldn't own anything but gravely.
  7. Jimmy Williams

Jimmy Williams LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for the info. Seems like both are good mowers. I am going to demo each and then decide. Tks JW