1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Mower Shaft or Belt Pertol or Diesel?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Galashiels, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Galashiels

Galashiels LawnSite Member

I am looking to buy a new ZTR mower but are getting confused on all the options.
    Test drove the Super Z Diesel and what a machine loved it but as a down side it was big and very heavy 1850lb with 60" deck.
    The super Z 28/60 efi seams a good option but has belt drive and is that enough power? The engine is the same size as in my walker but is rated at 26 hp I run that with a 52" deck and it only just has enough power in long grass, and it only does 6 mph. Can't see how 28 (claimed) is enough with 15 mph! and 60"
    Also looking at the Kubota ZD28 shaft drive plenty of power (diesel) and only 1 belt the fan belt! Has anyone any opinions on the best option? Down here the Super Z is $24995 and the Kubota $29500 so serious money but I want something that is reliable and simple maintenance. Too many belts on the Hustler worries me but for $4000 + saving that helps my worry.
    Anyone know the differences in power loss with belts v's shaft v's hydraulic ?
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The 28hp EFI 60" is a awesome unit and you will find it to be very powerful.
    Only 2 belts on the whole mower also.

3. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, take a small trip across the creek mate $24,995 Geeeeeeeeeez:dizzy:
    There r easily better deals to be had than that price ,although exchange rate would have a little influence .

Belt drive is the least efficient although the use of an extra belt or 2 gets around this .This creates a larger than desired power transmission system .
    It is the cheapest to maintain and reliability is fair to average depending upon design .

Both shaft and hydraulic drives both last a lot longer than belts with the hydraulic being the most reliable and on a par with a shaft drive 4 rebuild cost .Power loss between the 2 depend on the pump and motors used on the hydraulic system .
    I would not purchase the zd kubota units with the earlier transmission ,it seems they r prone to failures at random. OK 4 councils /govt as they have deep pockets and sell when warranty is up . The later kubs boast about how the tranny is improved by eg 50% [that has to tell u some thing ]

4. Galashiels

Galashiels LawnSite Member

Yep the price we pay for living on the other side of the world. I get very envious at the prices over there and the selection.
    With the exchange rate so high had thought of importing a few mowers but most Dealers will not sell me a new unit for export! Then no warranty, so its pay up or go without.