New mower using oil during "break-in"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pvbooner, Apr 3, 2012.

1. pvbooner

pvbooner LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Just wondering if anyone else has ever had a new mower use a little oil during the break in period. I bought a new cheetah with a 34 kohler this year, checked the oil at three hours and it was fine, checked it again at 18 hrs and it was a little low. Is this normal for a new mower? Dealer says that it is normal.

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Hopefully you performed your first oil/filter change at 8 hours.

You didn't say whether or not you did that in your post, but you should have did at at 8. That's the std recommended break-in oil change interval. The stuff that comes in new engines is almost like water. It is designed to allow the rings and piston to wear in and seat properly.

It is common for a new engine to use oild a little until they have 50-100 hours on them, even after changing the oil initially at 8 Hours. They just need time to wear in completely.

3. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

Id recommend using KOHLER OIL its the best in their engines

4. pvbooner

pvbooner LawnSite Member
    from indiana

My book said 20 hours so I have not changed it yet. Will probably be doing it before I run it again.

5. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Interesting.

My new Kohler bought last year said 8 hours, and I've read several other posts here where to poster said the same thing about their new Kohlers. My new Kawi bought last week says 8 hours as well.

6. chip25521

chip25521 LawnSite Member

When I bought my pro v I was told to change the oil at 10 hours. The book could say 8 though, I haven't really read it through yet.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. pvbooner

pvbooner LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Just went back through my book and found one place that said 20 hours and one place that said 8 hours. Mine actually had 16.5 not 18 and I just changed it tonight. Hopefully everything is good. The oil that was in it looked normal weight so hopefully everything is fine.

8. dahammer

dahammer LawnSite Member

I bought a new Scag Tiger Cat with a Kohler CV740 (27HP) at the end of the season ;ast year. The Scag manual says the "check" the engine oil at 8 hours and to change it at 20 hours, then change it at 100 hours and every 100 hours thereafter. Both the Kohler service manual and owner's manual say to change it every 100 hours and there is no mention of any "break-in" oil change. The oil in mine appears to be standard Kohler engine oil and isn't thin like water. Mine has 18.8 hours on it and I am going to change it tomorrow for the first time.

9. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I was kind of exaggerating when I said "like water" just for affect. It is much thinner though, and has less lubricating protective qualities so that the internals can all wear in to each other, and the rings can seat. It is not good to go for very long with the oil that any new mower comes shipped because too much wear can take place and ruin any chance that the engine will give long life use. I always follow the manual instructions on break-in periods and first oil change for that reason.

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

my kawi engine used oil until about 75-100hrs. i changed it at 8hrs, 50hrs, and 125hrs. there's much debate about how often to change the oil. the manual says every 100hrs (after initial break-in) but alot will say do it every 50hrs. i've decided to just change it around every 75hrs and go with it.