1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rinerlawn, Feb 14, 2001.

1. rinerlawn

rinerlawn LawnSite Member

me and my partner have one hydrostatic rider but we want a walk behind, can anyone help me out with getting one. what kind, what size deck, any advice is appreciated.
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

if you have a rider, im assuming you have some pretty good sized yards. i would recommend going with a 48 inch walkbehind. i have a scag walk behind, and its been very good, but check out exmark. they have a good line of mowers. i think the 48 inch can reach any spot where the rider cant.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have exmarks and would swear by them. The metro 36" has an awesome cut. The factory support is one of the best assets.
  4. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

Scag or exmark you can't go wrong. I would go with same cut as rider to keep the strips the same or 36" for gates.
  5. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Exmark all the way. Oh and could you guys help me with something!!! Is ther some way to keep my exmark 52" wlackbehinde (Just got it) from moving all over the place on my trailer. i put it on straight and by the time I am at my next job it is sideways is ther some kinde of parking brake. This may be a domb question but I could use some help on it.
  6. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

rinerlawn~What brand/size hydro rider do you have? My best advice would be to go with a 48" Metro HP, made by exmark. This belt drive is going to cost quite a bit less than a hydro drive, but the hydros are nicer to use. I have a 48" Metro HP and absolutely love it, maybe switch to a hydro in another year, but by that time I will need a lazer.

Hometown Landscaping~Is that 52" a hydro or belt drive? If it is a belt and it is new, they have parking brakes right on the controls. If it is a hydro, it should stay in place, unless it is actaully "slipping" on the trailer, then a simple strap would help. The last thing you want is to see you mower tumbling down the road!!

7. turfcat75

turfcat75 LawnSite Member

hey matt i have a 48in exmark and had the same problem with it ending up sideways or to the back of the trailer even i had it in gear,i used bungy cords for awhile till i noticed that my trailer hitch was a little to high,bought a lower hitch and seemed to solve that problem...hope i was any help
  8. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

it is a hydro. And it is not sliping it is rolling and i know that the hitch is not to high it seems to be preety level. i hope that this helps.
  9. npalomba

npalomba LawnSite Member

Make sure you choice something that you could afford and will handle the size jobs that you are working on; Brand is subjective but Exmark, Scag and the major players all make good equipment. I would also make sure you have a local dealer that supports what you purchase.
  10. Hometown,

I would suggest investing in some tie down straps. You can get some pretty good ones to handle the walk behind, the time it will take to use these will be worth the hassle if it keeps your mower from rolling around and getting banged up.

Also, it seems that here in my area DOT is starting to check to see if your mowers are secured on your trailer. If they are doing it here, they will be doing it everywhere before long, just another way to raise revenue for the state.