New mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kevin Pinhard, Apr 21, 2001.

1. Kevin Pinhard

Kevin Pinhard LawnSite Member

I am interested in getting a new mower this year but am unsure what to get? I'm just a small one man operation and need to get one mower that will suit me me for both large lawns and smaller lawns. I have been considering a Great Dane super surfer with a 52" deck, I'm concerned with scalping and fitting on smaller lawns. I have looked at several mowers scag 48" walk behind with ultimate deck, Dane scamper walk behind etc., but I feel the surfer might be the best all around mower for me. Would appreciate any comments or ideas, thanks!!!!

2. GREG R

GREG R LawnSite Member

Thats a tough one.
    What kind of back up mower
    will you have? whats your largest lawn
    and what is your smallest lawn
    That will give us something to go on.

3. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

You need to go demo a excell hustler shortcut 1500..you have the option to both sit and stand..also they are pretty much the same length..54 inch beck rather than 52..also I have had no problems scalping..that was my main concern when I made my purchase

4. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I would demo any mower before buying. I have a 48" Scamper and think buying it is the best decision I ever made. It fits perfectly on small and large lawns.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Personnally I like eXmarks. But, there is nothing wrong with the Dane's. They are great mowers. I've also never really heard bad things about Hustlers either.

My 52" is perfect for everything I do. We have lawns from zero lot lines to over 2 acres. I use it on all of them. On the small lawns you may only need 1 pass and then get the trimmers. Makes small lawns really profitable. At 9.5 mph, big lawns are fun and quick.

I have a 48" also, and I think they are a waste of money. Everywhere the 48" can go, so can a 52".

6. WINTER 3

WINTER 3 LawnSite Member

scag all the way

7. powerreel

powerreel Banned

8. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Consider a Walker. Ther are a couple on the used equip. forum. I would give serious consideration to the 16 hp. Also walkermowers.com

I bought a VERY OLD one 4 years ago and it has completely changed my business. Best purchase I have ever made.

9. Kevin Pinhard

Kevin Pinhard LawnSite Member

Right now I have a 48" WB I haven't decided whether or not to keep it as a back or get rid of it? I have one 2 acre lot, four 1/2to 3/4 acre lots, and the rest 7,000 sq ft orsmaller, and would like to keep options open for more larger lawns in the future!!
    Thanks for your input!!!

10. Wow powerreel I hope the EPA don't get ahold of this top secret doall version LB! I can't seem to get mine to smoke like that! Need to do some more tweekin I guess.

Think I just might make that picture wallpaper for my computer. It will remind me that things are not really that bad after all.

Aloha,
    P.Y.S.