New Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Crocker21, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Crocker21

Crocker21 LawnSite Member

I need a new mower for the upcoming season! I can't decide between a Scag 61 Turf Tiger 35hp or a 60 or 66 Hustler Super Z 30hp with the new xr-7 decks. I have a Scag tiger cub now with a 48-inch deck. I just need something with a bigger deck. I am leaning towards the Hustler, but would the 66-inch be too big, a lot of scalping?? Help!

2. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i run 61" decks on bobcats and love'm. there are times i wish i went bigger and the only time i really scalp is on hurrible lawn instalation jobs with grade changes too quickly. most all the time you can postion the mower to avoid scalping. the few lawns that the large deck will be a problem i just stay away from and let the smaller guys with WB mowers take'm. As far as the power goes i didnt think i would ever want anything bigger than the 25hp but if your running a bagger off a spindle or have alot of heavy, thick grass, my new 33hp briggs turned out to be a good move

3. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

by the way, i have and will continue to say, pick a dealer, not a brand. find the dealer that will drop everything and fix it right away when it breaks. that is worth more than the brand or cost of a mower, espesially if its your only mower

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The 30 hp Kohler had some issues at one time. I wouldn't buy one. The XR7 won't cut grass here but I understand it does great on Southern Grasses. The Hustler would be more comfortable but if I went that route I would go with the 28 efi not the trouble prone 30.

Of course Scag has no issues whatsoever but will cost a bit more. I can't coment on the 66" deck and scalping but with 27 hp the Hustler I had barely had enough hp with a 60" but let alone 66" but the turf is different here and I was mowing bi-weekly accounts also.

25 hp on a 60" deck will just barely get you by here if you mow weekly.

5. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

The Scag turf tiger is MONEY!!!! Plain and simple you can't lose with Scag. You say you already own one you should Know this. Don't leave Cadillac for a Hyundia.

6. Crocker21

Crocker21 LawnSite Member

Where I live there are only a few scags. I bought mine last year from my local dealer. The dealer stopped selling scags and replaced them with bobcats! I have heard a lot of good things about bobcats. The only problem is do I want to get a bobcat and stay with the dealer I have becasue whenever i have a problem they drop everthing and fix it! Or do I want to travel about an hour to get a better built machine (scag)???

7. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Like been said you cant go wrong with a Scag and they have a new velocity plus deck to boot , I think bobcat is a good mower also but up around here its not used much . To be Honest i think Scag is one of the heaviest mowers built but iam bias too as i own 4 Scags !!

8. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, wait for the new up sized kohlers 1litre engines etc [approx] for use with the 60 --66 decks . Do not forget u will have better resale and engine may last longer as it does not have to work as hard .

For me 66---35 hp is a sweet combo ,but as u r aware not available in all line ups. I would recommend EFI as carb on the large engines will go thru a " huge" amount of gas .

tomo:waving:

9. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone company is going to the larger engines , Its funny when i first started doing lawns alongggggg time ago ( to many years ago ) my first walkbehind was a 52" inch cut with a 14 horse kawi on it and it was about as big as you could get at the time .Now if you dont have a 24 horse or better we just cant get the job done . I still have a older walk with a 14 horse but that will change this year as a new bigger v twin is going on it . Smallest motor i have now is a 19 horse on a walk and largest is a 26 horse on a wildcat throw a 24 honda in there on another Ztr and thats my lineup horse power wise

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

You should atleast give your dealer the benefit of a 'trial' demo.

What I mean is, when a lineup change occurs it's not always the dealer's fault.
    It's not uncommon for dealerships to get "pulled" dealers by distributors.

There doesn't need to be an issue either.
    Sometimes distributors will agree to do this as a condition for signing some huge outfit.

Other times, dealers need to make changes in their lineup for financial reasons. Scags are expensive and I would imagine all dealers don't have a lot of wiggle-room on pricing. Slow sales last season or a dealer cost increase for this season might have been the straw that broke the camel's back... ya know?

So just go in... tell him straight up...

"I don't know why you dropped Scag and at this point I'm not particularly impressed with the Bob-Cat line you have replaced them with. But you have taken good care of me when I was down and needed you the most. So I owe it to you to at least try your new line before I look elsewhere.

Could you arrange for me to demo a Predator Pro 33 hp 61" for a little while?"

I bet he will arrange it and you can demo in order to 'try' to continue to do business there.
    If you don't like the Bob-Cat's then you have done all you can....
    And I'm sure the dealer will understand.