1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SpudsM15, Nov 30, 2002.

1. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Guys I need some adivise. I'm planning on getting a new mower for next season. I need one thats a good mulcher and good bagger and reliable. I'm asking alot aren't I?
    I only have about 5k to spend on this new mower.
    The best mower I have found is a scag 17hp 48" hydro walk-behind.
    It is going to be my primary mower. Please let me know if this mower is gonna suit my needs?
  2. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

Go with a Scag, I would go with a 52" over the 48" though.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I think that Exmark's TriVantage system is the best combo mower available. The mulching sysytem is second to none and the bag/discharge is on a par with almost every mower out there.
  4. TOMMY1115

TOMMY1115 LawnSite Member

Find your local Lesco dealer. They've got a heck of a sale on hydros. I think it's like $3400 for a 48" and a few hundred more for a 52".

Haven't seen too many other mowers that low.
  5. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure if i can even get the 48" threw fences. Is it possible to get that thing threw a 38" fence.
  6. mac43rn

mac43rn LawnSite Member

I have had both (scag, exmark). Skags are not even in the same league with exmark. Get the 48" 17hp exmark tthp and never look back.
  7. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

of course you cant get a 48" through a 38" inch gate . not sure when the hustler gate master is supose to be released but you mite check there web site out
  8. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

well, not necessarily impossible...with certain machines, you can turn the deck thru as long as the wheel width was small enough.

kind of like putting a 7 1/2 foot plow thru a less than 7 1/2 foot space by angling.
  9. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

no way a 48" fixed deck scag could get through a 38 inch gate other wise i would be doing it . but i do agree there are a few that will do it such and the old 40" gravelys and toros had off set decks
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You're only bout 45 minutes away or so from us. Email me if you want to come and see some of our Ferris WBs. Might give you a better idea to make some comparisons b4 you eventually decide.