New Mower!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMachine102, Sep 12, 2003.

1. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

I have a 6hp craftsman 21" push mower, rear bagger, and it is 6 yrs. old, I started having trouble with it last week, it became hard to pull/start, and I found out the oil level was really low, I hadne't check it forever, so I think I damaged the engine by not checking or adding oil as needed, and now the mower is smoking, and shooting oil out onto the deck, so tommorow I am going to buy a new one, from sears.

What do you think about these mowers? Don't say they are cheap, cause mine lasted 8 yrs, and probably longer if it wasn't for my carelessness! I am going to get the 21" 6.5hp rear bagging unit for 199.99 its on sale, list price is 300.00.

Tell me what you think!

2. Willis

Willis LawnSite Member

Did you cut just your lawn with this mower?

3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

greenmachine, you have prevented me from saying the only thing i was going to say. there is no way in this world you could possibly have more than a few yards to mow. otherwise you would already have come to conclusion that a 21" mower, in all but the smallest of yards, is highly inefficient. if you are dead set on buying a new crapsman tommorow, why did you bother to start this thread? most of us are professionals utilizing professional equipment. my peers are probably wondering why i even responded to this thread. what does that say about me?

4. GreenMachine102

I used it for 3 years strait for cutting full yards when I didn't have a rider, I used it on 13 yards. Recently I have used it as a trim mower, to get to areas I could not get to on the rider!

5. GreenMachine102

I currently have 22 accounts, I use it only in tight areas!, there are places that are not accessable with a rider!

6. GreenMachine102

The reason I go with craftsman is because they last long, and are made durable, and are priced cheaply!

I cannot see how anyone would spend over 500.00 on a push mower?????!!!!!:rolleyes:

7. GreenMachine102

what do you guys think about a toro from home depot? does tor make a push mower that is not self-propelled? I am looking for a nice push mower that is under 400.00, and is not self propelled, with a hp of at least 6!

8. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

I have a toro proline from way back to 1984 and it still runs perfect with the 2 cycle suzuki with a little muffler and carb cleaning. It does not answer your question though because it was mainly used as the only mower and it is self propeled, but this does give you something to think about. It is a 1984 and is still the same design today with very few changes. I am just very proud thats half the reason I made this post. And the other is that this mower will last forever and needs no oil changes and runs on 50:1 gas/oil mix.(and the home depot does not have this mower) but they are costly and will pay for its self over time.

9. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

greenmachine, didnt get from your post that it was your trim mower. im a little more lienient when it comes to those as mine generally does not get used but on the rarest of occasions. my philosophy is if my exmark cant reach it my string trimmer can.

10. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

True locutus,
    Thats when I quit loading the toro is when I bought the 36" Exmark metro hp. And never wished I brought it with me.(but I am still glad I have(It is the best 21" mower in the world)