1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New mower

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Smither, Jan 3, 2001.

1. Smither

Smither LawnSite Member

I'm needing to get a new lawn mower. I don't have a big yard and am probably going to get a push mower. Would love to get a mulching mower, but haven't been impressed with any I've seen. I'd like to spend about $400 or less. Anybody have any suggestions???
  2. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I try not use use a push mower. I have a Toro and Yardman. Both are NO good. Honda is the best from what I hear.
    Mulching works great if the grass is dry and not overgrown. If it gets away from you mow once at highest setting, then lower the deck and mow again.
  3. Smither

Smither LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I had thought both of those (Toro & Yardman) were good. It's good to hear from someone who actually owns one. I had heard Honda was good. I'll have to check into them. Thanks for the tip on mulching. I'll try that one this spring, you know how it grows in the spring.
  4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Snapper makes a great 21 that mulches well 6hp ... 5 sp ... I also have a Cub (yard man but Comm quality) which is OK but after about 500 hrs the tranny slips sometimes ....cool thing of her is the front caster wheels which makes turning a breeze
  5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I dont like front caters for sloped applications although they are superb for following sculpted bed lines (Can also be found on an Ariens as well). I would recommend a 2 stroke motor in a trim mower so that there is not a problem with extended running times in the hotter summer temperatures.

Hope this helps.
  6. Richgonfishn

Richgonfishn LawnSite Member

I just bought a Scotts mower. So far it's great. It has a nice bagging system and mulches well. It has a 6.5 horse engine. It's a 3 in 1 self propelled. It sells for $379.00 at The Home Depot. I picked it up during the holidays for 20% off. You should be able to get a nice mower for $400.00. Check out the following site for great info. At the top type in mowers. You can read reviews on most mowers made. Let me know if you like the site.

7. Smither

Smither LawnSite Member

Went to the "epinions" site. LOVED IT!!!! Thanks for letting me know about it. It's great to hear from people who have actually laid out their hard earned cash for something and how they feel about it after they get it home and use it. Gave me lots of great info. Thanks again.
  8. Richgonfishn

Richgonfishn LawnSite Member

I'm glad you enjoyed the site. What did you find out? What do you think you're going to buy. Next time you check out epinions read my review on my boat. Type in Maxum 2100SR boat. Keep us updated..

9. Smither

Smither LawnSite Member

Really looked at the Toros and Hondas. Didn't like everything I saw. Looked at the John Deere's and every review was good except for the guy who hit a stump with his and called it fragile. I'll probably check those out this week. What kink of experience do you guys have with Tecumseh motors??? I love Briggs and Stratton, but have never had a Tecumseh. Are the any good??? American made???
  10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 21" Honda commercial that was bought in 1984. Never had anything done to it. Still cranks on the first pull everytime. I use it in my biz as the trim mower. It does a pretty good job of mulching. Any mower this size doesn't create the airflow of a bigger mower to have the same effect at mulching. But if you cut regularly you will be happy.