New mowing formula, checking my numbers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cleancutccl, Sep 13, 2007.

1. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

Take a property that has 110,500 square feet of turf big enough for a 60", and then 6600 square feet that has to be done with push mowers, in my case exmark 26s. 5040 linear feet of trimming, 5370 linear feet of edging. Its a apt complex so I figure as long as it takes to edge will be as long as it takes to clean up. Also has 178 obstacles in the middle of turf (trees, signs, hydrants, etc.) I figure 5.75 hours with two guys. We do a similar sized property in 3.5 with 3/4 the amount of trimming and edging. What do you come up with?

2. Daddy Joes Lawn Service

Daddy Joes Lawn Service LawnSite Member

wow my brain got :dizzy:

3. easycareacres

easycareacres LawnSite Senior Member

Man like that numbers, can he use a mower ?

4. easycareacres

easycareacres LawnSite Senior Member

juyst worry about how fast one can pant do it.

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Soooo.... you're saying it takes 2 guys to mow and trim 3 acres, 5 hours?? Almost 6??

I suppose with the edging, but you don't edge every week, do you?? Or do you??

Personally, I've never understood the edging part, but that's just me. Anyways, 3 acres, fair amount of trimming, probably $400 / cut, edging extra cost.

6. Andrew's Lawn Maintenance

Andrew's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Member

Sounds about right. $400/cut is right on the money. 5 hours @ $35-$40/man hour is only $200, so if you can get that much, go for it!

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

11.5 man hours to take care of a place that is not even 3 acres??? How long is the nap you're taking? :laugh:

8. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Yeh it shouldn't take you that long. We have a place that has 2.5 miles of edging, (1/2mile, 5 curbs) and it takes my guy about 1 hour give or take a few min. It is only about 2 acres of turf, but is all bagged with a walker and just a few strips out front with the 60 ferris. It takes two of us about 2-2.5 hours. Oh yeh it has 138 trees.

You should be able to mow that large part with the 60" in 45 min, tops.

9. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

just sounds like a good businessman to me ... he knows his numbers !!

10. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

You need to look into the M.O.R.E. System.( multiple Overhead Recovery) if you can measure your properties like that , then get this system, you plug in your numbers, it will tell you what to charge and how long it should take, roughly. It will help you recover the fixed and variable overhead items you have out there and make sure you turn the profit you seek.

We used it back in '01 and '02 in the big lawn biz. Tony Bass uses it of Bass Super lawn trucks, he taught us the system for about 2500 bucks. you could probably find it cheaper without the consulting gig to go with it.

guys that are good with numbers in the green industry tend to own lawn care companies with multiple crews and make decent green. Others tend to make fun of those folks. The universe is big enough for both types of people.