New Multi Track Loader - John Deere CT332

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Candersen10, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Candersen10

Candersen10 LawnSite Member

I live on a farm in pennsylvania and am trying to get a new multi track loader. Currently I have a Caterpillar 257, which has been a decent machine. However, it is too small and not reliable enough. It's center of gravity is also far too high.

I've been looking at several machines as replacements and have narrowed it down to 2 or 3. I like the John Deere CT332 alot as well as the New Holland C185 or C190.

I like the John Deere alot in terms of power, price, etc, however it seems to have several very big flaws. Specifically, it appears to me in pictures (I have not tested the machine out yet) that the windows are outside of the metal cross plating. My farm is 150 acres and I spend time with the skid steer primarily removing brush with a grapple. I have managed to break two panes of glass, which were inside of the metal plates on the caterpillar so I think that this is real flaw. The other thing that seems to be a big problem with the John Deere is the shape of loader arms in that they prevent one from seeing the corner of the bucket. Given that I will primarily be picking up stumps and logs this could be a very big problem. Finally, I hear that the lift arm system will rock back and forth. Is this a big problem or no?

Has anyone owned/tested both a New Holland C185 and John Deere CT332? If so what was the decision?

Thanks,

Charlie Andersen

2. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

There are plenty of answers too be found in the search function.

Most of the issues with the JD have been hashed over and over.
    I demoed the JD and did not like it.
    There are plenty of people here who own them and love them.

Seeing the bucket edge is something that is not required 98% of the time.

3. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Like AWJ said, do some searches. There are a many threads with Deere CTL's.

I have a CT332 that I purchased new last May. It's not an everyday machine for me, but I have around 320 hours on it. So far it's been great. I'm constantly impressed with the all around power. I use mine mostly for hogging dirt, loading trucks, backfilling, and grading. I think these are the Deere's strongest points. My only real gripes are that I wish the cab was pressurized, because it does let too much dust in when your in dry conditions, and it's also thirsty. I think most machines though that are similar in size would go through the same amount of fuel.

I actually like the glass on the outside of the brush guard. It's easier to clean the cab. I can see how it might affect you if you're working around trees a lot, but I'm not sure how much it would save your glass in the end. I think the guards are more to protect the operator than the glass. As far as the visibility, I think you have great visibility on the front and back windows. You lose some on the sides because of the boom arms, but you get used to it. The boom arms may even help block some of the branches or limbs that you may encounter. On the boom slop, it's been brought up here many times, and in my opinion, it gets blown way out of proportion. This is the first Deere skid or CTL that I've owned, but I have ran 200 series II, and I never thought it to be any big deal at all. I'm sure there are older Deere skids that do have it, but I don't think I've ever heard a Deere owner complain too much about it. You will notice a small amount on a brand new machine, mine has it, but to me it's irrelevent. It may bother some more than others.

I have not ran a New Holland CTL. I do know they have pilots out now. I got my Deere with the hands controls, and I like the feel that they have.

You're best bet is to demo both and go from there. They're both probably good machines, you just have to find which one fits your specific needs, as well as which dealer you feel most comfortable with.

4. JDSKIDSTEER

JDSKIDSTEER LawnSite Bronze Member

Visibility to bucket is excellent. I have sold several in the application you are talking about and no broken windows. I will let you search other threads for operators comments since I sell them I may sound a little bias. Weakest point is dusty cab. Pressurized cab and pilot controls due out in 08???? Check out your local dealer and make sure they have a good reputation. Most of the complaints I hear is from people who live in areas where the dealers give poor product support.

5. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 250 Series II and a friend that has a 322 CTL. They are good machines. As far as seeing around the bucket I don't see how you will have a problem doing that. We have the low profile buckets (construction) that lets you see the entire edge of the bucket. If you have a high back bucket than you may have some issues and usually the edge of these buckets is not very long. I think you would have a problem seeing past this bucket with any brand of skid steer but I have heard the Cats setup a little higher. As far as the glass that could be a problem but I bet it would be a problem no matter if it was in or out. Like Dozerman21 said it is easier to clean the glass on the outside but that does not make it less hard to break. I do think they like fuel though. I know many people with Deeres in the area with the 200 series and the 300 series and they all seem to be happy. Only know just the one with the CTL.

6. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Since we are hashing things over again and being an owner of a 332:dancing: I wish the window guards was on the outside of the window instead of the the inside of the dusty:rolleyes: cab.

Cleaning the outside of the window with a power washer is easy,(especially when i'm washing the outsdie more often the inside),it's a pain trying to get the dust off the inside of the window with the guard covering it up,Of course!!!!!! unless your power washing the inside of the cab along with everything else inside.

Fix! make a quick disconnect guard to be able to remove to clean the windows and to straight, when it get bent!!!!

If your working in the brush it doesn't matter where things are.If your breaking windows now! it would just be bending guards !!!!!! As far as seeing in front of you loading stumps and logs they should be big enough to see them no matter what machine you have.

Sounds like you need bucket with the grapples on top of the bucket if your handling stumps and brush and worrying about windows.Better yet get one without windows.Fixed that problem!*trucewhiteflag*

As far as New Holland ,booms on them are designed almost like Deere with exception of a few different angles,so why don't they have side movement?????Plus they use to make skid for Deere,so where do you think Deere got there boom sway design.:confused:

Good Luck:drinkup:

7. Candersen10

I actually have a grapple and it's been an absolute necessity. With the windows, is it possible to remove them fairly easily? Does anyone know if you can get plexi-glass windows for the machine? And are there any sort of removable guards that can be placed over top of the windows?

8. JDSKIDSTEER

JDSKIDSTEER LawnSite Bronze Member

No plexa glass side windows. I ordered a high flow with demolition door and regular side window kit the other day to mount a magnum mulcher head on the other day. I wish the would come up with a forrestry guard kit. I may check with GR manufacturing. They may offer one.

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

You'll be able to find any company that makes Lexan or Plexiglass windows for custom applications (Racecars etc) can make replacement windows for you if you send in some glass ones for moulds.

10. Candersen10

One other question I have is whether the John Deere very stable on slopes? I have had two rollover incidents with the CAT 257 that we have and we used to have a 763 bobcat which was also rolled twice.

On my farm we have been very very careful to avoid rollovers, however, with the steepness of the slopes around us and the need to clear certain areas, accidents are bound to happen.

Does anyone know if the Deere will automatically shut off it it begins to roll? I rolled the caterpillar 257 once and did not immediately shut it off which resulted in the need for a brand new engine because when the engine cycles upside down it gets damaged almost immediately.