New! Name Your Own Price For Lawncare

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOOLIE, Oct 15, 2004.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Recently sent out letters to all my customers detailing how leaf removal works and the charges for it. Also, told them I would be more available for other kinds of work as the grass winds down. So today, this one lady comes out, asking about cleaning up all her beds. "But your rates are too high. I can pay you XX per hour". The hourly charge she so generously offered to pay me, well, I could get that much easier working at the mall.

I started to look around. Figure William Shatner must be hiding somewhere in the yard. I mean, I must be on one of those commercials, right? "NAME YOUR OWN PRICE FOR LAWNCARE!" And where's Mr. Spock when you need him? He coulda done that trick with his fingers to incapacitate this PITA customer.

I think we figured she could afford for me to pull weeds for 15 minutes, tops. I know somebody else must have cheapskate customers like this too.
  2. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes god made alot of them like that it no longer gets to me though I know what I am worth I know what I need to charge and I know what I won't work for.
  3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Yep guys, we've had a few like that here. Mostly foreigners..."no, no , no, not 250.00, 150.00" sorry pal, I don't take
    Our regular clients know what our services are worth to them, and we never have issues over pricing. It's always newbies or one timers who try to play the "name your own price " game..I laugh and get back in the truck, and then laugh some more... :p
  4. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Had em and cut them right away. I simply tell them in the nicest possible wording that I don't feel my company will be able to provide what they need in a costly manner. They take it many ways, but I am very honest with them. My time = money and I need that because we provide the best possible service but at a slightly higher rate.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, this particular customer is "not of this country". She's harmless, though. I think I keep her around strictly for her entertainment value. Before this latest incident, her plan was for me to mow one week, and pull weeds the next week. But I reminded her that her lawn is "every week, or you'll be shopping for a new service".
  6. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Oh yea, they're always good for a laugh. I love walking away from people like that, and leaf season brings them out of the woodwork.
  7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I did an install for a couple 2 years ago, and the husband constantly screamed at the wife in Hindustani...It was too funny...the grandmother stared out the window at my brother for 3 days and freaked him out. Of course they signed the contract, but wanted to "negotiate" the payment. I don't care if it's customary or not, in the USA, we like "payment in full when complete", I thank you...LOL's so fun getting the look of shock when you tell them prices for fall cleanup, too.. ;) :dizzy: :p
  8. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

We have a restaurant here in SLC that has no prices on the menu, you simply pay what you feel the menu item is worth.

Surprisingly the owner says that he is already out of the red and turning a profit a year ahead of his projected schedule.

I often wonder what kind of pricing people would come up with if you let them choose their own pricing for lawn-care. I'm just not brave enough (or stupid enough) to give it a try.
  9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

but wells, THEY ALREADY DO name thier own price. on a $30 cut, they can get a true professional to do it for $40, 30, 25, as low as $18.
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

When it comes to fall cleanups, I look at it this way (and have been for many years too) btw.

I already have enough in the bank to last me until mowing season begins again next year. And I still have a substantial amount of money owed (bobby can tell ya the amount, I won't) in way of account receivables that increases my winter stash as well.

So what goes? It's like this. First of all, I know ALL my costs. Secondly, I DON'T need the leaf cleanup money to survive. Third, leaf cleanup is hard, dusty, filthy work. So, here is the price ma'am/sir. I don't want to sound rude or unreasonable, but this quote/estimate is NOT (I repeat, NOT) negotiable.

That's it...end of story. Period