1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New! Need Advice...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DKL, May 26, 2006.

1. DKL

DKL LawnSite Member

The past few days i have been looking at Zero Turns for a way to mow lawns by myself at first, then later on if im doing good with some employees.. i had my heart set on a zero turn but several people have argued that a walk behind mower would be the better choice for me to start out with...
    I was also told to first go find some yards i can push mow to start out with until i have enough for a walk behind or whatever i deceide to get.
    so i guess heres my questions

1.) Should i mow some yards with my dinky self propelled mower that i use on my trailer yard to mow some yards to get established with some cutomers before taking on a note for a Walkbehind or a Zeroturn?

2.)WalkBehinds seem too much trouble when i can sit on a zero, but it keeps getting pointed out to me that the people i see using Zero turns are in a group and get everything done real fast...what really do i need to buy? i found a good Zero turn that i test drove today and i loved it..Hustler mini fastrack 42 inch for about 4412 so what should i buy a walk behind or a zero? please tell me the pros and cons because they arent clear to me....
  2. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

The first thing you need to do is decide what kind of lawns you are going to be mowing. If you're going to be city yards, you should probably start with your push mower. If you're going to be mowing large wide open spaces, you should look at a ZTR. If you're going to be mowing larger city yards, then a walk behind would probably be your best bet. You also need to figure out how you're going to pay for the mower, for the maintance, and for it's replacement down the road.
    If you want to pick up a few dollars, then I would just attack with your push mower. If you want to build a successful business, think everything through - including putting a plan down on paper, set goals for yourself, and then start equipping yourself.
  3. ken6224

ken6224 LawnSite Member
    from Ga

Buy used and pay cash
    If you carry a note you will be working for the bank
  4. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

I agree CASH is KING!

The question above about what type of yards your going to target will help you fully decide.

Only you can answer this, once you have fully made a decision and plan you will know exactly what you need. In the mean time if the push mower mows use it.

All Clear
  5. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

it depends on what size areas you'll be mowing. my first mower was a exmark metro walkbehind with a jungle wheel. i used and abused that mower for ten years. i bush hogged with it. originally paid around 2,500. for it. changing the height of the blades was a pain. two years ago, i bought a gravely Z34 ztr with a 34" deck, specifically to be able to get thru very small florida gates! i paid 4,200. for it. goes 9 mph, 4 in reverse. great little ztr.