new, need help with pricing, etc.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JT lawn service(tony), Jul 15, 2007.

1. JT lawn service(tony)

JT lawn service(tony) LawnSite Member

hello, ive been landscaping for three years, but decided to go full time with it this year. i have been doing mostly tree trimming, and stump removal(mainly because this is what the customers request) i have been doing trimming for about $140 per yard, and stump removal between 50 and 75 dollars. i am oblivious on pricing for these categories because i have never persued landscaping as a professional business. please help with this if any one is willing to help out a newbie. thanks in advance,

2. KeepOnCuttin

KeepOnCuttin LawnSite Member

So what exactly do you need help gotta be specific
  3. JT lawn service(tony)

ohh ok, well, i am usually trimming about five or six trees, and making about three loads(single axle boxed in trailer, 11 feet) per job. we are cutting large and small branches using both chainsaws and pushpoles. i know i should probably charge more, because some of the jobs are taking up over half a day, but i do not want to overcharge and have my customers think that i am scamming them.

also, on stump removal, i have a job coming up mid week where i will be digging out and removing a stump that is about 6 inches in diameter, and i do not have the first clue on what to charge. the job is in crowley, and we operate out of grand prairie.
  4. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Set a minimum price and go from there. You will see in some of the other threads that some LCOs charge different rates for different sized yards. (Ex. small yard $25, medium/average $35, large $45 and up) and others charge by the hour. Others won't even think about slowing down in front of the house for a set minimum price, regardless of the size of the property. Should work the same with trees. Determine your costs and what you can net, and call it a day. Later....
  5. JT lawn service(tony)

oh ok, thanks alot for the help
  6. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

You cannot think that you are overcharging. People are paying you because they don't want to do it. If you keep thinking you are overcharging people, you wont be in this business very long. You will lose some bids because some customers think that it is too much.....move on the the next one that will pay you what you are worth, those are the ones you want to work for. I bought my truck from a tree guy and he told me that he trys to get $500 a day, if he goes out.

Three trips to the brush dump for trimming sound like alot of work. You might want to look into the city brush pick up. You will save alot of time and work by having the city come pick it up. It normally takes about 3 or 4 days for the city to come pick it up, but your back will thank you. Heres the link for the Dallas area.