New: Need some equipment help.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1BadHawk, Feb 11, 2005.

1. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

What do you all recommend for a new business just starting out. Team of two people, in search of a walk behind. New or used, doesnt matter.

We have gas blowers and edgers.
  2. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

First I wouldnt get a walk behind larger than 48" A 48" with a pro slide sulky will mow a lot of grass. If you want bigger might as well get a rider. I have found that a 48" and 36" is a great combination. The 36" will fit in most gates and still mow a lot of grass.

You really have to know what size work your going after. If you have the funds and two men, get 2 maybe even a 32" and a 48". Two guys can really roll with either of these options. I am also partial to belt drive less expensive parts and easy to change yourself.

I assume you have trim mowers.

3. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I am kinda the opposite, I go with 52 or larger. I get greater stability on hills here in the mountains, put a 52 side on my walker and can ride sideways on hills that only walkbehinds can go on. As for gates, I have had 4 customers with small gates that I talked into getting the fence company to come out and put a double gate on, so they have small truck or equipment access opened up to their backyards! Now I fly everywhere I mow, I just HATE anything under 52, feel like I am a slug. PS Just bought a Hustler 54 walkbehind so the wife can help> she loves it! I would recomend that model for a first walkbehind, altho I love the T bar steering on the Toro walk behinds too, have owned 3
  4. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Dixie Chopper Run-Behind. Best steering controls of any Walk-Behind, excellent cut and easy serviceability. 27hp 50in deck, GIT R DONE
  5. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

the new Huslter WBs are "run behinds" too, and can be adjusted for full throttle at 5 or full throttle at 8. Just curious, why is Dixie CHopper the easiest on controls, compared to the Huster "H-steering"?
  6. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

48in 36in and at least 1 commercial push mower (it will be self propelled actually) I prefer hydro if you got the money
  7. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

Toro makes a 44 wb its a good size for small to medium lawns. If you had to do some big yards throw a sulky on it and it would do fine but like a previous poster said if you are going to have 52" or larger you might as well get a ztr.
    of course you have to keep the gated backyards in mind aswell so a 36 or a 21 would be good for the real small stuff :cool: