1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Nelson solenoids won't stop leaking.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Jun 21, 2006.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

We have a Nelson solenoid that is bad and needs to be replaced. Rarely do we work on Nelson stuff. Bought two new solenoids. When we install the new solenoids, they leak so bad the zone will not shut off. When we reinstall the old (bad) solenoid, the zone will shut off and no water leaking.

We tried changing the oring from the old to the new but it did not help. The distributor has no clue as well. I figure the gurus here will know the answer!!

Thanks for the help, folks,

2. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

Found my own answer. I was changing the solenoids with the water on. When I turned off the water, the new solenoids sealed just fine. No answer as to why, but the end result is satisfactory. (I could not shut off the water originally!)

John:weightlifter: :weightlifter:
  3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

LOL... We'd be soaked if we tried this. :drinkup:

Our valves are generally loacted in the area they control. However, all our valves are flow control types so shutting them down eleminates all water except a little stream coming out of the solenoid port. We use that water to clean up the threaded area before installing the new solenoid.