1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

New NPR

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by vanncann, Dec 29, 2013.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

2. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I was just asking why it was worth $15k more? You obviously gave me your opinion on why you think it is better. I just dont see it. My guys have no trouble driving with the trailers on. That is a BIG truck that many guys would be intimidated to drive. And yes we can buy a 14ft trailer for $2k or a 16ft for $2400. A little 1500 would probly be cheaper to insure also.

3. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

That is an awesome rig, we plan to switch to these type of trucks in the future. Only change i will make is adding a side dump to the front of the bed, we bag most of our lawns.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. vanncann

vanncann LawnSite Senior Member

You would be surprised @ what I pay for insurance... VERY LOW....

5. vanncann

6. vanncann

It's a 2012...

7. grassbutler

grassbutler LawnSite Member

I know his brother......Has a mulch blowing company here in Jacksonville, Fl.... ( and a fleet of landscape trucks...)... he is good people!

8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

You say you have these mythically competent men who are above industry standards if capability with a trailer , but the same drivers would be intimidated by "such a large truck"
    That's an oxymoron
    Like saying I have the best drivers, they drive neons , but they can't drive station wagons.

The green industry as a whole moved to cab over trucks in the last decade and a half
    They by far have more utility, less maintenance and less cost of ownership than any truck/trailer combo
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I didnt say MY guys would be intimidated to drive it I said "many guys" in general. Hey if they would save money then I am all for it. Im not saying you are wrong, but are there any side by side comparisons on costs? $15k is alot of money to make up. What is the average life span on one of those? I guess if you say its 10 years, then you would only have to save $1500/yr minimum to make it the better option. You think it would save $1500/yr?

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

:usflag:
    I am kinda with you that platform has limited space for mowers. We carry 2 36" units, a 48" vride and a 21". We got multiple trailers for hauling limbs, mulch, a dump trailer. Crew unhook and get another trailer as needed. And most people want crew cab, not 2 door.and gas mileage on a big engine probably less than 10mpg.