new occupation..

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Junior M, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Well boys, I no longer work in the construction/excavation/clearing industry..

I start working for a shop, being taught to rebuild automatic transmissions monday..

you ask why I left behind work I love?

Well, this year has shown me I need to be able to have the skill to do something, something that will always be there(firefighting, I know, but I cant get paid for that, atleast not at this age)

And a buddy of my Dads, the same guy that rebuilt the tranny in my DD, brought up to my dad one night at the bar that he only wanted to be rebuilding transmissions, hands on, for another 4 years or so. And he wanted to teach somebody how to do it before those 4 years were up and he wanted me to call him..

So I took advantage of it, only catch, I gotta work for him until 3 months after I graduate..
  2. Craaaig

Craaaig LawnSite Member

so did you just stop working with your dad or did you guys go out of business?
  3. Junior M

its slow.........

slower than GR's sex life.

I'll still work for him when he gets the work, until then I am working for this guy. I am not going to be out running around trying to get jobs like before..
  4. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

that funny...haha

but you should still go to college i think, but then again what do i know...i'm an engineer driving truck haha
  5. Junior M

I've got a couple years until college, so I got time.. this wont interfere if I do decide to go.

I've been thinking about going to Central Carolina to major in natural resources..
  6. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

That's probably a good idea JR. I am not sold on people having to go to college but think at least tech school or do an apprenticeship type program so there is something for a fallback.
  7. Junior M

thats kind of what this is, a fallback..
  8. talus

talus LawnSite Senior Member

My advice to you Junior is this.
    At your age guidance counselors,teachers and parents pressure you into thinking you must decide before you leave high school. Horseshxx!
    Yes some direction and guidance is required but stick with what you have a passion for and it will come easier. I wish I got into equipment when I was your age. Think of the future also. When your 45 are you still gonna want to be yankin a transmission? Yes you could have workers do it but if they call in sick you will be doing it.
    Does your high school have vocational classes? Another thing I wish I did. My buddy went that route in high school and now has a successful siding company.
    Plumbers,pipe fitters and electricians are well paid trades. Especially if they are union. Some bull goes along with some union shops but they pay well. Look up the IUOE in your area. (Same thing scag is doing right now). Most apprenticeships are 5 years so if you get in while your young you will be big pimpin fast. :laugh:
    You seem like you wanna work and are a hard worker. Not real common with some kids these days.
    Just an opinion from a mid 30's, kinda fat guy with an f ed up ankle. Take it for what it's worth.:laugh:
  9. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

I do agree with getting in to a plumbing, pipefitting or electrical apprenticeship, it can be very good. BS yes but pay is also very good.
  10. Junior M

I am going to a vocational school, diesel this semester, fire and emergency next semester.

I am not continuing with diesel next semester because it was, imo, a waste of time. I didnt learn a thing and its not because I didnt try.

I dont plan on rebuilding tranny's the rest of my life, its just a fallback right now because excavation/clearing is slow. By the time I can get out of this job, I'll have the time to try and start a company of my own or go to work for a company as an operator.

And owning a tranny shop is in no way a plan of mine!

and if I get into anything union like, it'd be as an operator..