New Ohio Regulations

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by gr8 1, May 6, 2001.

1. gr8 1

gr8 1 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

My boss, who is on the board of Ohio Lawn Care Assoc. said they are hearing from the Ohio Dept. of Ag. about some new laws.

GET THIS

They want to make a law that everyone in your company that uses, handles,or even talks about pesticides to customers must have a license. If thats not bad enough they want it in effect this summer.
    Could be interesting!!

[Edited by gr8 1 on 05-06-2001 at 11:02 AM]

2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

thats scary for alot of companies in my area. i don't fert. yet don't have the license. alot of companies are hiring kids that don't even know what the #-#-# means or what kinda grass is in the lawn. i have told 5 customers this week that they need to have their company spray for grubs. some of them said they did last fall, lol i thought you were suppose to do this in may or june at the latest. i could be wrong but thats when they start to feed more. i don't even think most of the owners know what their doing around here.

ohh well its gunna be so easy taking customers off them next year after i get the license.

3. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like Ohio is adapting the same type of regulation that MI put into effect this year. They are pretty tough, and they are being enthusiastically enforced by the EPA.
    Good Luck,
    Jim L

4. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

You think that they would send us a notice about this.. Oh well we'll have to wait and see what happens...

5. get rich

get rich LawnSite Member

:D honestly its not that hard to pass a standard test.and cost like twenty dollars or something.so i really think those kinda laws are not all that bad,because if there we're no type of regulations,then every yahoo with a truck will start throwing fert around,burn turf up everywhere.then give all of us liscenced yahoo's a bad name,eh?let alone imagine this,people out there spraying very harmful crap on lawns.well i just think that if the test is not that hard,its pretty easy to keep the dangerous stuff out of the hands of those who don't understand the chemicals at all,and what it can do if applied incorrectly.and then all you have to do is have one applicator on your pay roll and your in luck.well just my thoughts.................................................

6. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

I realize that this is an old thread. But, i am wondering if the new regulations that gr8 1 was referring to have gone in effect or not. Anyone know if this is the case?

7. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Uh-Oh... TGCL is now going to have to raise its standards in hiring!:alien:

8. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

thats a good one matt!!!!!!!!!!!

9. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Here in CT we have a similar law already in place.
    In order to supervise applicators or to make a commercial recommendation to use a pesticide you must have a category 3a license Supervisory Version. This is the toughest 3a license exam in the US.
    Much easier is the certified APPLICATOR license. Anyone who can walk & chew gum should be able to pass this one. It requires some basic knowlege of pesticide safety. I mean really basic. One example question right off the test:

Q.) You're applying pesticides for hire at one of your employers customers properties when your work partner begins to complain of dizziness, nausea, & light-headedness. You should:

A.) Do nothing, he was out drinking last night.
    B.) Tell him to work quicker so you can finish the route & go home.
    C.) Get him to a doctor or medical center.
    D.) Notify next of kin.
    The state even provides a sample copy of a pesticide lable where the answers to the only technical questions can be found. Anyone who can't pass this test should absolutely not be allowed to spray commercially. Then again, the probably shouldn't be alloew to procreate or vote either, but they can & do.

I'm sure we can all live with this.

Steve

10. greensman

greensman LawnSite Member

How will they inforce this law with the one person per county from the Ohio Dept. of Ag that actually patrols looking for applicators or applicators without a license (just to make a note I have license).