New old truck with pic (duh)

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ksland, Sep 28, 2003.

1. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Helps if I post a pic!
    Found this 1987 F250 in the local want ad, was black. 87K miles Straight 6 300 Fuel injected 4x4, got it for $2600. After a do it yourself paintjob with acrylic enamel she is ready for lettering. For those weighing the new vs. old truck purchase, here is a nice looking strong work truck for under $3000.

dsc00985.jpg

2. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

what kind of trailer are you going to pull with that?? Just curious because with the straight 6 even though it is a an F-250 might be hard and eat a lot of gas. Just curious it is a nice truck but the straught 6 might hurt you in the long run, a V-8 would be better.
    just my 0.02 cents
    Dylan:blob2:

3. ksland

Thanks for the input but you are so wrong, the big six 300 inline 6 is very capable of towing. Actually more so than the v8. The inline 6 has superb torque

I pulled a bobcat with it last week and it pulled very close second to my 2001 3500 chevy dumper with a 6.0L. A little faster acceleration with the dump truck but same as far as maintaining speeds uphill.

4. ksland

I also figured I should add this is mainly a mowing truck that will pull a single axle 12' trailer. But I figured I would comment anyhow to its capabilities. I actually passed on 4 different F250's having 351's and diesels.

5. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

man, i wish i would come across finds like that. congrats

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Very nice looking truck for it's age. That 300ci, 6 cyl. is a tough engine. It has been my experience, however, that the 6 cyl. really sucks gas when hauling a big load. I opted to go for a Powerstroke diesel model when I bought another truck this past spring.
    I found a fleet maintained, 1996, F250, extended cab pickup, with the Powerstroke diesel for $3200.00.
    I do, however, pull a larger,18', trailer that is loaded with two diesel ZTR,s.
    Good luck with that new pickup. It should serve you well for a long time.:)

7. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

sweet, I just bought this 88 f250 4x4 for $1150. It has a 5.8 fuel injected motor (351w), zf 5speed, and a/c. I also just bought the paint and supplies for a do-it-yourself paint job. I'm hoping to get it painted this week. Right now, its a very ugly light blue. I have already replaced the windshield for 150 and bought the hupcaps. The interior is decent, dash has no cracks, but the floor mat is shot.

dsc01303.jpg

8. lawn perfection

lawn perfection LawnSite Senior Member

You won't be sorry with that inline six,lots of torque it will pull all the mowers you want to.

9. ksland

Nice deal! Looks like maybe a better deal than I got, although mine has new clutch, 1000 cca battery, tires, shocks, brakes, starter and alt. Even still I think I would have bought yours there first. How many miles? I am sure it is high at that price but even still thats a nice truck for the price....this is mine the day I got it right after I took the running boards off, it had the same type as yours there.

truck.jpg

10. ksland

Here is a little fancy work with photoshop, trying out a lettering scheme for preview first, what do you think?

truckletter3 copy.jpg