New one

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by regnort, Nov 29, 2002.

1. regnort

regnort LawnSite Member

Well I have run up on one I have no experience with and have never seen anyone mention it here. I got an inquiry to cut on a Super Fund site. It is an abandoned apartment complex that was built on top of a waste site. It is just cutting every 14 days until the EPA approves the three final phases of the remediation plan which will probably take about three yearsto get approved. Anyway the money is right and the guy in charge of the property asked me to do this because I have experience working with haz-mats and on uncontrolled waste sites. I guess its a good thing my Lesco is already green otherwise I might be in trouble.
    I hope I don't end up looking like one of these guys when the contracts up. :blob2: :alien: :dizzy:

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

If you cut those sites, would your equipment have to be dedicated for that job or just cleaned after each cut?

3. regnort

regnort LawnSite Member

In this case it doesn't require any special clean up, the property has already undergone a good deal of remediation. The problem is it just wasn't sufficient and is going to require tearing down the complex. The contaminants are tar, pesticides, and spent solvents but they are all below 3 ft in the areas that are grass. I would probably pass on it if there were any chance of an exposure. The reason the prop manager asked me about it is to cover his behind if the state or feds were to audit his records and gig him for allowing untrained people to work at the site. They are pretty strict about entry into these places.

4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Regnort - Do you have Hazwopper training? Chances are that you will need to have at least 24 hour and possibly 40 hour haz. waste training, current 8 hour refresher, a current physical exam and medical monitoring, but the facility folks should be the ones telling you what you need. Is there a facility health & safety plan?

Is the area to be mowed an engineered cap over the area? I'd worry about the pesticides more than anything else. I wouldn't think that the tar and solvents would present a health hazard to you in an outdoor environment.

I spend 15 years working on, assessing and cleaning up hazardous waste sites and know a fair amount about this stuff. E-mail me if you want.

Darryl

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Getting paid for these jobs will be very very interesting.

6. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Is taking the chance of getting cancer, lung problems, autoimmune problems worth a few bucks. So you believe this guy it is safe. Anything to do with chemicals I stay away from it including spraying yards with chemicals.